1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mechanical purr?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kman42, Apr 5, 2007.

1. kman42

kman42 New Member

I frequently hear a mechanical purr in my new 2007. It lasts only a second or two and I think it comes from the drivers side front, but localizing car noises is difficult for me. It seems to mainly occur after starting driving from a stop or slowing down at low speeds. Something to do with the ICE coming on/off? Regen braking?

I've only had the car two weeks, so I'm not sure what is normal. We have about 350 miles on it and are averaging 45mpg, so I don't think there is anything wrong.

kman

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

It is the brake system. I think there is a pump on the driver’s side. It is a normal noise so don’t worry. I am sure someone here can expound on exactly what part and how it works and all that but all I know is it is part of the brake system and is normal.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    One of the cool things about this hybrid system is the engine can be shut off at any time, without the driver actually commanding it (directly).
    Because of this, any system that "normal" cars use that rely on the engine running had to be run off a battery, either the HV one or the 12V one.

Sooo, there is an electrically powered hydraulic accumulator pump for the brakes, instead of a vacuum booster.
    There is an electric motor for the AC.
    There are electric heaters for the interior (boost only).
    And others.
    They all make noises at unusual times (compared to "normal" cars), mostly rather quiet ones, but worrying to newbies. ;)

I believe the saying repeated often by dealers and enthusiasts here is "Don't worry, be happy. It's normal." ;)