1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Media and Fear

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, Jan 28, 2010.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The media is a powerful force.

I have often thought that the past few years, as this recession came upon the entire global economy, that it was exacerbated by the media. No I do not suggest it was the only reason, or maybe even a primary reason, but I do think it was an exacerbating factor that has helped lead us to where we are today. You can argue "Chicken or Egg" but it seemed to me that even before things were REALLY that bad, we had attention getting fear inducing reports in the media. Headlines and soundbites about "Being Next to Lose Your Job" or "Is your Bank Safe?". I believe to a certain extent that if you keep telling people to be scared, or that they are in a recession that pretty soon people are scared, not spending and we are in a recession. It can become a self fufilling prophecy.

Unfortunately I now see the same thing happening to Toyota. Fear inducing reports on television, peppered with stock footage of accidents with mangled automobiles being pulled from piles of wreckage. Often with no connection to the audible commentary being presented, just images of wrecks.

The media using headlines and phrases designed to get your attention but focused mostly on creating fear, fear of your own automobile and fear of Toyota.

Those of you that "know" me as a poster, know that I'm not a blind Toyota supporter. I criticize freely, if I feel something is deserving of criticism. I question always. But I think this is important because especially in this global recession I don't want to see one of the worlds largest producers and employers "unfairly" weakened or brought down.

Toyota has produced and sold safe and reliable vehicles for decades. Comparitively Toyota has avoided publicity and recalls that have plagued other automakers. YES, Toyota has a problem. It's a huge problem. It's publicity that Toyota would easily not want to exist.

I want the story. I want the truth. I'd encourage Toyota to act quickly and be more open with the media about the problem and the resolution. Recent footage from Japan of Toyota officials in Surgical Masks waving camera's away, isn't good imagery. I also do find Toyota's current response troubling. "We have a problem, but those of you with our product, just keep driving" isn't a good answer.

But that aside, I would naively, I suspect, hope that the media not create a firestorm of fear. I was upset to see GM and Chrysler dealers close their doors. It's not good for everyone. I do not want to see Toyota, the world largest automobile producer, injured to the point of dealerships closing and production reduced.

I think the story needs to be followed and uncovered on all fronts. What Toyota knew and when, plus how responsibly or unresponsibly they may of responded and the timeline...are valid and important stories.

But for now, the story is the recall. Report it fairly. Seems to me Toyota IS currently trying to solve the problem and doing so at great cost to their own image and great bottom line cost to the company. They deserve some credit for that.

Scaring the public, and current owners into a state of distrust of the Toyota brand harms us all. Almost all automobile manufacturers at one time or another have had a serious problem. Toyota comparitively has had few...up to now. But when the product you produce is a product that transports people at high speeds the standards are higher and must be higher. Trust me, when I say, even without any behind the scenes knowledge, Toyota did NOT want this to happen.

But IMO, I don't want the media creating a BIGGER problem out of what is a BIG problem. If Toyota stumbles, or worse, then friends, family and aquaintances of mine lose their jobs. It trickles down to affect many, many people.

So enough of the "Deaths" headlines, or the reports about a recall that unexplainedly are filled with video collages of wrecked cars. Pursue the facts, good or bad, and provide information. Stop creating fear for the simple boost in ratings or internet click.

Just my opinion and rant for the day.

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You sound surprised!

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

No, read it again. I'm not suprised at all, I'm disappointed.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But that's what the media is for. It's an advertising delivery system. People don't want information, they want to be entertained.

And there's my sarcastic rant for the day. ;)

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have much good to say about the media. Even why they try to tell an honest story, they mostly get it wrong. Most of the time they don't even try.

On the other hand, I don't know how to rein them in without censorship. Perhaps we should consider the B Ship.

Tom

6. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The media turned on Toyota when they became the largest. This story is turning into bloodpsort.
    If this problem is not fixed in the next week, it will close dealerships and hurt Toyota pemanently.
    From my standpoint after years of Toyota always getting a free pass from the media, it is being made up for all at once. I am thankful I did not buy Toyota store, tey would have made me build 10-12 mill building. Who wants to make those payments in a down economy and now this.

7. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sarcastic?? You realize more people voted for American Idol than in the 2004 presidential election?

It always turns into bloodsport and exaggeration. Given that Subaru and Hyundai are showing growing sales at a time when most other automakers are showing steep declines, would you consider purchasing either of those franchises? I'm honestly curious. What was the reaction when Hummer made dealers spend pretty large sums to overhaul the dealerships?

8. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They can text / vote more than once.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I would consider a Subaru franchise, but not a Hyundai franchise. While Hyundai has tried to go upscale the last few years, most of the customers tend to be 'B' credit and below and most of the money is made in f&i in ways that do not fit into my business plan. the Hyundai quality has improved rapidly though.
    I never considered Hummer, it was applied for much the way Saturn stores were. Most stores ended up in the hands of very large dealers who could handle the losses suffered with Hummer.
    There are certainly many toyota stores in the hands of very large dealer groups but many of them are still in the hands of hands-on owners. If they recently were forced by Toyota to build huge stores, these are the dealers I worry about.