1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mel Gibson's antisemitic rant

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, Jul 31, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Mel Gibson, Jew hater
    By Evan Derkacz
    Posted on July 29, 2006, Printed on July 31, 2006
    http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/evan/39662/
    Mel Gibson, director of Jesus gore-fest The Passion of the Christ, was pulled over for drunk driving early Friday morning, launching almost immediately into a Jew-hating tirade of, well, biblical proportions.

"F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

In addition he threatened to...

f**k the officer several times, snapped at a female officer, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?", bragged that he "owns Malibu" and that he "will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me," according to Deputy James Mee's report.

The original report that is, since the L.A. Sheriff's office had him remove all the yucky stuff because, as Mee was told by higher-ups, "Gibson's comments would incite a lot of 'Jewish hatred,' [and] that the situation in Israel was 'way too inflammatory.'"

Right. Sure. People just hear Jew hatred and rush from the dinner table for a little pogrom. Consider the nation's intelligence insulted and the LA Sheriff's office bought and paid for.

Nikki Finke of Deadline Hollywood spoke with the sheriff's office, which denies the cover-up, but early reports have the sheriff's spokesman claiming that Gibson was arrested "without incident" so it's highly unlikely that he just happened to have messed up, that Mee just happens to have claimed that he was told to write another report and that other officers (as stated above) gave excuses for the report.

But back to Gibson. The man who shipped an 8-lane bowling alley to his private island that he intends to leave as pristine as he found it; who donated "$5 million of his The Passion of the Christ profits to expanding a religious compound near Malibu for Catholics who reject Vatican II reforms [the reforms that finally, officially, stated that Jews were not culpable for the death of Christ]."

Count among these Vatican II rejectionists Gibson's father Hutton, a Holocaust denier and friend to powerful antisemites like Willis Carto of The Barnes Review.

As Dave Neiwert notes, "Hutton Gibson was an important influence in [Mel's] beliefs, and he remains so. Moreover, Mel Gibson has never at any time actually distanced himself from his father's beliefs nor repudiated them."

And I'm not sure when it happened but the good Republicans trying to get Gibson to challenge Schwarzenegger for governor of California have clearly abandoned their push as the domain gibsonforgovernor.com seems to be available. Just in case anybody's interested.

If Gibson publicly apologizes for everything he said on Friday, goes on record opposing his father's beliefs, and absolutely and unequivocally states that he does not believe that the Jews are responsible for Jesus' death, he will be taking a good first step away from his flirtation with the fascist right. He won't do this of course as he sincerely holds these beliefs and will not renounce them -- The Passion fell suspiciously in line with the beliefs of those who reject the Vatican II reforms.

Plus, he likes the compound near Malibu, something he gets to keep as someone who typically has the savvy to say just enough to allow daft reporters to connect no dots.

And it allows weak-willed hypocrites like popular right wing blog Little Green Footballs to keep their heads in the ground, cheerleading the most militaristic Israeli actions while giving Gibson a free pass because they're more or less on the same team promoting American empire and Muslim hating -- two great tastes that... you know.

The first thing Gibson reportedly said after being stopped was, "My life is f****d."

At least we agree on something.

UPDATE: Gibson did release a statement and, as expected, glossed over the Jew comments (all the specifics in fact) and just denounced them all as "despicable" while blaming the whole thing on his alcoholism. You know what? Not good enough. You make comments like these after that movie and purchasing a compound for Holocaust-deniers, one of whom is your father whom you've never publicly disagreed with and you want people to accept this apology?

Try again Mel.

Here's the statement in full:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said, and I apologize to anyone who I have offended. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Bonus Proof that the Media is not run by the Jews: AP, USA Today, and CNN missed the story as of late Saturday night.

In their TV segment, CNN doesn't even mention the antisemitic slurs, while the written version mentions that TMZ.com "alleges" that there were slurs. This is some darned crappy reporting. The TMZ site actually posts PDFs of the original arrest report and commentary from the freaking office on why they hid the original arrest report. Is there some reason why they were reluctant to report on all this?

To paraphrase Mr. Gibson: CNN, your reporting is f***ed!

AP and USA Today just miss it entirely.

(TMZ, Orcinus; HT: DownWithTyranny)

Evan Derkacz is a New York-based writer and contributor to AlterNet.

© 2006 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
    View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/evan/39662/

2. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I heard his apology before I heard what he actually said... I actually figured he'd said something 'despicable' to a black police officer, but I'm not surprised it was an anti-jewish tirade - I've read his father's speeches before.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I'm sure Abe Foxman blew a load when he got the news....!

Heh, Mel pissed off A LOT of Jews who tried to censor the Passion, now they're going to be all over him for this one IF he indeed, in-fact, said what everyone is accusing him of. Funny how y'all ASSUME he did it. Supposedly they have him on tape, even so, I'm sure millions of people go off on racial rants everyday around the world on, blacks, hispanics, Catholics, Protestants, etc.. Now, I'm not trying to marginalize it, but I'm sure this will be played up big time. This morning on the radio, they were aleady playing the HITLER card, and using all sorts of, "SIEG HEIL!!!" sound bytes... :rolleyes:

btw, what kind of cop would bust Mad Max??? Shiat, if I were the cop that pulled him over, I'd be like, "Dude, it's Mad Max!"

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 31 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]295045[/snapback]</div>
    You need help.

Yes you are trying to marginalize it - you just don't care to recognize that fact. Read your first sentence - slowly - and think about it........ each word...... every word.......

And if he did say all those things about Jewish people - what would you say or think or do??

5. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jul 31 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]295017[/snapback]</div>
    Well, what do you want him to do? Time? Kill himself? Collapse to his knees admidst tears at Auschwitz?

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 31 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]295055[/snapback]</div>
    ??

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 31 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]295051[/snapback]</div>
    No, I'm not marginalizing it. This was ripe to get blown out of proportion the second it happened simply because he's a celebrity that ticked off a lot of Jews. I've got news for you: anti-semitic rants and raves go on every day, in probably 90% of the world.

As for what I'd say or do?

It's no more of a crime than a black man going off on a tirade against "the man", a white man cracking racial jokes against blacks, a Protestant going off on a tirade against a Jehova witness, Hawaiians talking smack against white people, etc., ad nauseum. Talking trash like that is equally as bad amongst all races, creeds, religions, no one is more of a "special" circumstance than anyone else...

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wha! Someone said something stupid and politically incorrect while stupid drunk...never heard of such a thing. all the drunks I take care of on a daily basis are clear and level headed and never say anything they don't mean and are never sorry for their actions once they've sobered up.

Geez folks. Maybe he harbors some anti-semetic opinions...so what. He's entitled to those opinions. He's a dumbass for saying them, but then he's a dumbass for getting drunk and putting himself in a position where he would say them.

Bigger issues in the world right now...way bigger ones.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]295070[/snapback]</div>
    I kinda think they are VERY inter-related here if you don't mind. And I am referring to the "bigger ones" you reference. And I hope you see how they are connected too - especially from a guy like Gibson whose movies touch millions.

And how people defend him or what he said...... all linked and has been for millinea.......

10. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 31 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]295082[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, here we go down the, "If you defend Mel, you're a Nazi" path...

If that's the case, then what about slavery? Or, the oppression of any other race, are those less egregious? Less "linked"? :rolleyes:

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 31 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]295082[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, ok you're right. Let's get a call out right away to the thought police and bust his nice person on this one. One more criminal mind off the streets.

12. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 31 2006, 07:03 AM) [snapback]295045[/snapback]</div>
    By his disclaimers ye shall know him.

Dr. Fusco, I expected better from you.

There are two egomaniacal Hollywood "Top 20" actors who fancy themselves, personally, as "saviors" as reflected in the parts they play: Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner. Not that Hollywood lacks for other egotrippers, but check out the filmographies of those two.

Yes, it SHOULD be "played up", so that Americans know where these "icons" really stand; and doubly so if there was an attempted LAPD coverup.

And no, it IS different from a Baptist ripping a Witness. History does that sometimes.

13. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Jul 31 2006, 12:17 PM) [snapback]295132[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, so you discriminate on racism?

You actually provide a gradient on whether or not it is more or less acceptable to be racist towards various groups of people, what are some MORE or LESS worthy than others?

Gee, let's see, I treat it all the same across the spectrum, and you give weight against whom and what.

Gee, who's the racist here?

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]295116[/snapback]</div>
    My good doctor - ye tends to be over-reactive here. Just re-read what I wrote and relax. Maybe I hit a nerve?

15. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 31 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]295138[/snapback]</div>
    You could put up a poll? :lol:

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Jul 31 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]295132[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, if those are the only two actors you can come up with you're just not even trying hard. Tom Cruise being at the top of my personal list of idiots who should stick to acting.

Next, I still disagree. There's no reason to play this up. I respect Costner and Gibson greatly for their acting and directing ability. I take their political messages and think about them, like I would anything else. I'm no more or less influenced by them than I am by the morning paper, the guy at the next table at the coffee shop or anything else.

Yes, there are idiots out there who'll be influenced, but they'll be influenced by someone anyway. And if they think Mel oughta be made a saint for making "Passion", then a few anti-semite comments in a drunken fit isn't going to change thier minds on that point.

This is pure smear, fodder for the grocery isle stands, and a huge distraction from the really important issues in the world.

I don't agree with his anti-semetic rage any more than I do with his drunken driving....frankly I'd say play up the drunk driving if anything...he could have directly been responsible for the deaths of any number of people for that...but we're numb to hollywood drunk driving. It ends up as nothing more than a few jokes on late night TV and it's forgotten. But anti-semetism in hollywood....now THAT's a story you can sink your teeth into... :rolleyes:

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 31 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]295088[/snapback]</div>
    This is a well traveled path - you have now gone from he did not say it to the Nazi's in under one hour - good going - but yes they are connected to - just ask Mel's dad - apples and trees, NO?

At least with slavery Americans were able to tell right from wrong. Here some Americans still can not tell that difference...

18. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am glad that he didn't have any negative thoughts in his mind about the Prius haha

I am gay and Jewish- so is that a double negative? :huh: Oh boy I must be a miserable person... But I agree with some statements here- he said some remarks that were rude towards jew's, big deal, everyone has their own oppinions. Get a grip! Do you know how many put down's gays get every single day? There is always someone in the media expressing their view on how we are going to hell, we're sinner's blah blah blah I guess white, str8, Christians can't imagine living their daily life getting told how indecent they are. Majority rules.

Is god going to look down on me for loving another human being, or YOU for hating me?

19. wstander

wstander New Member

So, if it were not for his anti-Semitic lanquage, how is this particular Hollywood prima-donna's verbal assault on the police any different than Zsa-Zsa Gabor's rant?

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]295070[/snapback]</div>
    etoh usually unlocks the normal inhibitions of free speach. yes he is entitled to them as others on this BB are entitled to those very same thoughts.

And it is beyond being a dumbass - however much you want to marginalize it. he is in a different category - he is not just a "dumbass" poster here - he finances and makes movies and his word for better or worse carries more weight than some of the "dumbasses" here who just hide behind the comfort of the internet and type away their anti-Semetism --- kind of etoh and the internet allowing "dumbassess" to be "dumbasses". Cool. I just take it more seriously than you do. Thats your right too.

And if you still cannot see how it connects with "big issues in the world" than i respectfully request an ophth consult.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 31 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]295162[/snapback]</div>
    To many on this BB there is no difference. Seems to be a lot of people on this BB.