1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Men rent out wives in India

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Jun 19, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 19 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]273422[/snapback]</div>
    Not just women. Just shows how far we still have to go.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 19 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]273426[/snapback]</div>
    :angry: Everyone should be outraged that this goes on, and your rite in saying, Just shows how far we still have to go.

It seems like it would be profitable overthere as $175 is better than $22.... But I wouldnt give up my wife for that unless she was a nag. :lol: :lol:

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 19 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]273442[/snapback]</div>
    What about your wife renting you out for stud? Would you go for it? :p

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Of course, this brings up the age-old question of whether it's cheaper to rent or to buy :) If you rent 'em, you lose out on the tax deduction.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jun 19 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]273455[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but a wife is overhead.

Tom

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 19 2006, 01:04 PM) [snapback]273465[/snapback]</div>
    Only if she is on top.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 19 2006, 12:05 PM) [snapback]273426[/snapback]</div>
    Just think, President Bush freed 25,000,000 women from the bonds of slavery and he gets no credit. At least now they can get some money for their services :rolleyes:

10. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congress should pass a constitutional amendment against this before it destroys the traditional family. :lol:

11. Mirza

Mirza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 19 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]273476[/snapback]</div>

Not totally true right now... or at least not in the near future anyways. There are still a lot of social taboos that democracy cannot necessarily take care of soon. But I believe that in the future Afghanistan and perhaps Iraq could be a great boon to bringing the Mideast forward.

Slavery is not an accurate term, and India and each of the Middle Eastern counties have unique cultures, traditions, and religious sects. I get the sense that you lack a lot of knowledge in this respect.

We have our own taboos and negatives to take care of (which occurs in quite a few countries based on what I know... I could be wrong)... like women being pressured and subconsciously forced, by themselves, society, and men to match ideals of beauty that are attenable to only about 5% of the population. In order to fit in, women in our society have to do all kinds of seemingly nonsense things just to fit in (high heels, makeup, play nice, etc). Who know though... maybe this kind of stuff is partially inherent in biology... you see extragavant courtings in many species... where one species does things that seem counterintuitive to their survival (but are ultimately accounted for via sexual selection)... like the male peacock.

I can't find it now, but there was a survey of Muslims in which the majority believed they were not disadvantaged. Not that they are equal to men in some countries... but if someone is going to try and change the world they should at least understand the people that live there. Some do not want democracy... some do... and those that do generally want the freedom within society and not forced from outside... most people in the Middle East just are not ready for democracy that is forced upon them... let alone the dictators and monarchies placed on them in the less recent past (*cough**hack*iran iraq saudi *cough* arabia, etc *cough*).

Also remember it was only about 40 years ago that blacks and women here got the right to vote... so these people need to be given time become more modern.

(Tend to be very optimistic... which I think is a probably a good thing)... but I can't seem to find the exact article I was looking for... these should suffice anyhow.

http://search.csmonitor.com/search_content...09s01-coop.html
    http://search.csmonitor.com/search_content...11s01-wosc.html
    http://search.csmonitor.com/search_content...09s01-coop.html

Iraq may one day be a model democracy... but to spread it beyond there, in most cases and places, would do nothing but create more terrorists.

But of course, democracy means jacksh*t when its citizens are uninformed and don't really know what the definition of freedom is.

Back to topic:

There is a lot of f***ed up stuff that happens in India. There is a prominent Atheist organization in India that has been doing a lot of good work in getting rid of these ridiculous achaic customs and traditions... such as the caste system... which is still very much a part of life in India. However, I did not read anywhere that women could NOT do the same... but that it was not practiced. Maybe or probably they are not allowed to, but nothing I have read so far indicates that... since it is more attuned to the male/female ratio (which goes back to the custom of preferring males). More like nobody has tried to be a broker for women and that it would be discouraged. Not a overly important note, but one that is necessary to gauge when evaluating cultures.

It is also worthy to note that these are inherent in the culture and religions... this paternal preference itself is inherent in the culture... mostly among Hindus but also in some of the Muslim communities in India. Also, India's prominent religion is Hinduism... which I think is where the caste system originated.

Another custom that is actually beginning to boom among Indians is for the family of the bride to pay a rather exorbitant price to the family of the groom. Factored in with the paternal nature of the culture, this is somewhat like taking from the poor and giving to the rich.

It is not ALL bad... sometimes when the topic of arranged marriage comes up people tend to automatically reject it as archaic... but it is a stable instution that has its advantages over the more common way of marrying (meet someone, date em, etc). In a modern arranged marriage, the bride and groom are expected to WORK to get love. Here a lot of people have the negative attitude that you find the right one and ecstatic love just happens... it is not an accurate mentality/set of attitudes if you want more relationships and marriages that actually work more often than don't. If worst comes to worst you can still get divorced (unless someone lives in the more backwards regions of India).

Please also note that in history, when the Europeans colonized Africa, they saw it as a clean slate and thought they could impose their culture and religion on everyone... they did not see that the native Africans had their own cultures and traditions (let alone those of their own culture). The efforts were disasters from the get go (rhymes with gitmo).

Attitudes of ethnocentrism have caused many a problem in our history (including Al Qaeda and the 9/11 terrorists).

I wonder if someone is going to bring up it being like prostitution... can't wait to get some hands on that. :)

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Jun 19 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]273444[/snapback]</div>
    Ummm, oh twist my arm, yeah I'd do it as long as she was on a scale of 1-10 she was a 4 or better :lol: ;)

13. Mirza

Mirza New Member

14. GasGuzzler87

GasGuzzler87 New Member

God Bless America

15. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Jun 19 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]273609[/snapback]</div>
    Are you a 4 or better?

16. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 19 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]273758[/snapback]</div>
    Some say I look like Cletus from the dukes of hazzard tv show.. :lol: :lol: :lol: