1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MERGED: Toyota Announces Free NAV DVD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Arizona Charlie, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

On Thursday, Nov 12, I received a call from a representative of Toyota USA. This call was in answer to a complaint I had made in May of this year concerning the inaccuracy of the NAV. System. She explained That Toyota has been aware of the problem with the original navigation system software and has been working with the supplier on the upgrade. .

Toyota has finally completed the Navigations system upgrade and will be sending a letter to each of the twenty two thousand, six hundred Prius owners who purchased a package nine car which contained the Navigation System.

The upgrade will be performed at the dealer at no charge [free]. The upgrade is contained on a CD, or DVD, [she was not clear what the media would be.

Once you have received the letter you should call the dealer for an appointment and the upgrade can be done while you wait. Once the upgrade is completed, you will be given the CD containing the upgrade to keep.

Arizona Charlie

Edit by Danny: The 2 threads have been merged to keep discussion in one place. I have added the Toyota letter to this post. Thanks.

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Toyota announces a Navigations system upgrade. FREE

Really? (Waiting for a NOOOOOOO!).

Nate

3. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I don't think so

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Are you yankin' our chains?? :guns:

5. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

to me, it sounds like a post scripted to justify his previous one in which he was admonished.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Yes, last I checked, Thursday was November 11.

Arizona Charlie, we are skeptical and think you are teasing us. Care to comment?

Nate

7. Arizona Charlie

This is no BS. I am not lying. You will be receiving a letter from Toyota on or about Nov. 15th.

It was coincidental that my complaint posted here and the call from Toyota came within a day ofeach other.
    Arizona Charlie

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Wow, this is really something. I am quite excited. I shouldn't speculate, but do you think they might remove the dang "I agree?" I might achieve Nirvana if this last detail is overcome...

Nate

9. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the warning is a product of your litigeous society. You cannot take responsibility for your own actions so you must blame someone else in court when things go wrong. that's the way you wanted it and that warning sign is a consequence of you all wanting to do that. realise it and deal with it. I'm sick of hearing whinges about that which you brought upon yourselves.

you need that message otherwise when you crash your car because you were not looking at the road, you'd cry "oh but it's toyota's fault because they put a screen in the car for me to look at while I'm driving and I'm not mature enough to figure out when is a good time and when is a bad time to look at it"

10. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    anyway, come on! - how hard is it to lift your arm and touch a button? I mean, I know laziness is rife, with your drive through everything, but geeeeeeze

11. Arizona Charlie

Roger:

Are you angry or just having a bad day?

AC

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

roger, the only person more lazy than me is Larry Wall. I am incredibly lazy, and I am filled with pride at having finally been recognized for my laziness.

To those of you who think I am kidding, google Larry Wall lazy and read a little. For those of you who are too lazy to type all that, here you go:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&saf...azy&btnG=Search

Nate

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Okay, i found some more detail, it's LSC 40J. (Limited Service Campaign). It's real. I'll try to find out more info tomorrow from the dealership.

Nate

14. tag

tag Senior Member

15. tag

tag Senior Member

Any day without drivethroughs is always a bad day, IMHO. :)

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Get as much detail as you can Nate, a copy of the actual LSC print out would be great (anyone got a current subscription to the Toyota Tech site?). May call and harass my dealer soon too.

This is very good news, I have high hopes that not only is the database more complete, but perhaps their location algorhthms are better as well. I'm going to switch back to synthetic in about 1000 miles, I'll probably pick up my DVD at that time.
    :clap: :multi: :!: :p :lol: :jester: :clap: :multi: :!: :p :lol: :jester: :clap: :multi: :!: :p :lol: :jester::clap: :multi: :!: :p :lol: :jester:

17. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Larry Wall is the inventor (creator) of perl, a computer language whose structure allows a minimum of thinking and typing and places a greater burden burden on the computer's processor. In the past, languages were developed to be efficient in execution, no matter what the learning curve or work needed to input and manipulate the language.

This concept was revolutionary. Programmers scoffed at the ease of use and inelegant execution, but over time they found themselves using perl and "taking the easy way out." Later, it was recognized that this was genius, true genius, as the greatest expense in computers, and the area of problems lies in software and its development and maintainance cost. Hardware costs NOTHING. Man-hours cost EVERYTHING. Hence, perl's beauty.

When asked why he wrote perl, Larry simply answers because he is lazy. So lazy that when he is walking around the park, and sees a nice shade tree to sit under, he doesn't get out his GPS, take a latitude and longitude, retrieve location information for the tree, calculate the distance in paces west, then turn 90 degrees and calculate the distance north. He simply heads straight for it and sits down. More of the burden is placed upon the park. It must accomodate movement in all directions, and supply air pressure and temperature at all points. The tree must be properly illuminated, etc.

This is the same concept for perl. Just go straight there. It's human nature, we are too lazy to do it the hard way when we don't have to.

It's this laziness that drives us to make improvements in efficiency and simplify the thought required, even if it is our own laziness that causes us to work so damn hard.

I leave you with a quote (you can guess from who):

Laziness
    The quality that makes you go to great effort to reduce overall energy expenditure.

Larry believes, as do I, that laziness is a virtue, and in personal sloth there should be personal pride. So do I, and I take it as the ultimate compliment.

It's what gets me up in the morning. ;-)

Nate

18. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Larry Wall is God. [Again, I need a "prayer" emoticon.]

(Though I prefer python to perl.)
    [hr:c6c98686b3]
    BTW -- Arizona Charlie -- thank you for announcing this!

19. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Is the NAV upgrade meant to bring 2004 cars up to the same software as the 2005's? Or is there a newer version than the one I have in my 2005 package 6 car?

Polly Prius once tried to send me down a dead-end street, across a 6-lane limited access highway that didn't have access at that spot. But generally, she tells me exactly where to go.

Glad to have found PriusChat after reading the Yahoo Groups for a few weeks.

Dave

20. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

I called Toyota...
    They said that people in a certain VIN range will receive notification about the Limited Service Campaign 40J in a few days. You can take your Prius to any Toyota dealer and they will replace your navigation DVD with the most current version (I don't know which one that is). I know that my system is good, but could use an upgrade here or there (I have 3.1). I look forward to seeing what has been specifically upgraded. People complained, Toyota listened.. :D
    Flyingprius