1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Merry Christmas to me...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dafut, Dec 31, 2005.

1. dafut

dafut New Member

On Tuesday evening last, I picked up my 2006 Prius from the shippers here in Anchorage. I'm now happily and gratefully driving this marvelous sled around town.

I've had a few new cars before but none have captivated me quite like this one.

Although I've only notched all of 150 miles so far, it handles incredibly well even on our icy streets--all on the stock tires. In this short span, I'm getting about 38mpg--which is exactly the reason I went the Prius route--and that's in winter with a newbie owner.

Some of the things I really appreciate are:
    how quickly heat starts flowing (always a plus during our winters)
    how pleasant it is to drive--effortless
    the interior layout
    its spaciousness
    smart keys! Oh where have you been all my life!!!

Thanks to PriusChat and all of the members for the advice, guidance, suggestions, and feedback which made my decision anxiety free.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congratulations, dafut! With all the problems some drivers seem to have with Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control on icy roads, I'm glad you aren't. Are you planning on changing to "grippier" tires?

Welcome to PriusChat too!

3. dafut

dafut New Member

Thanks, Bill.

I had initially considered ordering tires once I knew that my car was on its way up from Tacoma, yet we've had a fairly mild winter (subject to change without notice) so I'm considering holding off until next fall (I still have my Explorer if needed, although my number one reason for the Prius is how tired I am of paying to fill that beast).

Never have cared for studs so that's out; considering Blizzaks although I'm also researching some of the other tires designed for ice and snow.

Worst case would be to drive the Exploder...but for now, I'm content. If the temps stay below 25, things are pretty good. It's only when we get within a few degrees of 32 that the roads are at their worst. A heavy snow may get me ordering tires much sooner...and a delivery from TireRack gets here in about 3~4 days.

Yes, I've read many of those same posts. And I've seen many a driver not understand the finer points of driving in snow and ice. I guess I do ok; no complaints.

Dan

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Congratulations, and welcome, Dan. Sorry you missed being #11,000 by one. Could you have accomodated all of us up there in your house for the party? B)

Loving my Nokian WRs, though they'll serve me in rain rather than snow.

5. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congratulations from me too :)

Isn't there a free block heater program in Anchorage? Have you taken advantage of it. If not, it might help get that winter mpg figure up there a couple of notches.

Keep us up to date on how it handles in those winter conditions. It is great to hear that so far so good.

6. dafut

dafut New Member

Thanks, All. I'd say that driving is more fun than replying to pChat posts, but that's not my excuse for why it's taken so long for me to reply...

I'm really liking my new sled and, after one full tank and into the next, I'm averaging about 38mpg.

The Silver Mica Pine color is, to me, very pleasing to the eye; I like it a lot. But then I like the car, too.

The other night I took it for a drive up on the hillside and was mildly amused that, after getting back down to about the same elevation that I started at, I had improved my MPG. Of course it went down when I went up, but coming back down made up for all of that and more.

Yes, Anchorage does have a block heater program: $25 for a block heater, extension cord and timer; must park vehicle outside at night (no garage). But I had the dealer install one before it was shipped north.

Member 10,999! Cool! Hadn't noticed...sort of makes fitting sense seeing as I got my car at the end of the year.

Peace to you all, and hope you have a Prius new year.

Dan