1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Message on radio screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tdoff1, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is it possble to make the message button able to be viewed while driving? Now it gives a message for safety, cannot access while moving. Not so much me, but it really aggrevates my wife that it cannot be accessed while moving (passenger).

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    your wife gets aggrevated easily. if im going inside the dash to cut the speed wire
    im going to do it for something important like the telephone or the naviagation system or install a lockpick for those controls.
    i wouldnt go through all that hassle solely for the canned message from the radio
    station. its usually either the song (sometimes), but that just scrolls anyway, mostly its just a canned message from the radio station with station id, that never changes

maybe toyota wouldnt display it for safety reasons, because the static canned message that never really changes most of the time would be burnt on your lcd screen !!!!

3. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    excellent point..if was a quick fix I wanted to resolve. I will just tell her to get her own Prius.....:eek:

4. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I laughed when I seen that. What they gave you WAS a message!!!

5. Lindon

Lindon New Member

I agree with Tdoff1's wife, Toyota's decision to turn the message screen off for safety reasons is stupid, considering all of the other active information screens that can be equally distracting. My favorite radio station doesn't scroll RDS any longer (something to do with when they went digital), but I can get their RDS if I press "MSG" (of course if I'm not moving). My question: Is disconnecting the speed wire truly the solution for this? Would it cause some other problem like a warning light or something? How do I locate the speed wire.

6. stevendwatson

stevendwatson New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

LCDs are not subject to burn-in....plasma and CRTs are

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BUZZZZZZ!
    Incorrect, LCD's ARE susceptible to burn in. The crystal seizes up and stays in a fixed position. The TV Network that I work for has been using Plasma, and LCD screens for quite a while now. I have seen LCD's that have burned in spots. The fix is is to feed varying levels of gray flat field to the screen and jog the LCD crystal out of its locked state.

My personal 42' LCD at home has 2 burns. They are a result of watching a 480i mode signal in 4:3 aspect ratio. While it produces a great picture in that mode it has left 2 residual vertical stripes where the edges of the 480i scan starts and stops. When I do watch a true 16:9 HD, show and the scene is very light colored, say sky, or whitish, you are able to see the 2 vertical burns.

Plasma Screens, don't get me started. We just put out new floor monitors on a stage where a daytime popular soap opera is taped on our lot. We have had them running for about 3 weeks now and after 14 hr a day production use they already have "Time Code" burns in the portion of the screen that the TOD Time Code is displayed!!

PLASMA"S DO BURN, so do LCD's just not nearly as easy, or as fast, but they still burn!!!!

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now now there, we all know that LCDs don't "burn in". LCDs suffer from "image persistence". The net effect is the same thing, but this way LCD makers can safely say their displays don't suffer from burn in.

A rose by any other name... :D

Tom

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep Tom, thats correct!! Thanks, Pat