1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Messy disaster in my trunk...where to buy new trunk mat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by heavenleigh, Jun 7, 2006.

1. heavenleigh

heavenleigh New Member

Ugh, I left a 12-pack of Diet Dr Pepper Berries & Cream in my trunk and when it was very hot last week it exploded. Fortunately it stayed almost exclusively on the trunk mat, there was none on the actual carpet. It made it onto the inside of the back window and a few dropson the back row of seats, but I can wipe it off.

Here is the mat before I started cleaning it (the pink in the bottom left was from the cardboard box):

[​IMG]

I bought a Bissell Stain Lifter machine. Here it is after I washed it:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I am not sure if I am ok with this or I should get a replacement. Does anyone know where I can buy an OEM carpet trunk mat (I have a 2004 with the bisque/ivory (?) interior). The only ones I see on ebay look shady and don't have pictures of the actual product. Does anyone have one from a salvage they want to sell? THX!

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In case you haven't given up on removing the stain:

I've seen people get way worse stains out of their carpet over on the forums at detailcity.org. Oxy Clean dissolved in very hot water, along with some agitation from a scrubbing brush (and a pressure washer if you've got one) seems to be the most successful method.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The way I see it is that the mat did exactly what it was supposed to do...protected the permanant carpet/interior. The pink stain doesn't look all that noticable and the mat looks decent to me now.

Sure, try the Oxy-clean or any other product you like, but I see no reason, other than the vanity of wanting a pristine mat, to get a new one at this point...a bag of fertilizer could split open on the new one the day after you get it. Keep this one, let it do it's job until it's so worn or stained that it isn't tolerable then get a new one.

There are any number of good sources for replacement mats...including your dealer.

4. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have very light carpeting in my house, and one day my dog chewed an ink pen and made a mess. I didn't think the stain would ever come out. I used Resolve carpet cleaner to break up the stain, and oxy-clean to dissolve it. It took time and half a dozen or so applications, but it eventually came out.

BUT, I once used oxy-clean on an automotive carpet and didn't follow the directions carefully--I didn't dillute it enough and it actually lightened the color of the carpet, making it look worse.

If you have decided to replace the mat anyway, it probably wouldn't hurt to try to clean it more.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Put the whole thing into a front-loading commercial washing machine (like at the laundromat). Use the stain (soak) cycle. It should come clean. I've done this with the floor mats at home (I have a front loader).

The cargo mat is a little big for my washer.

Nate

6. heavenleigh

heavenleigh New Member

I totally agree that it did its job--I am thrilled it didn't get on the actual upholstry carpet. I will continue to use it as is, it is really much less noticible in person than even in the picture. My only reason for getting a new one is in case I sell it in the future (like to get a new 2007!), I am worried it won't be considered in "good" condition with the stain and if I wait, I won't be able to get an original replacement mat. I would probably get the replacement and keep it in the closet. I just wanted to price them out for curiosity.

7. marshaks

marshaks New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(heavenleigh @ Jun 8 2006, 06:05 PM) [snapback]268312[/snapback]</div>
    I've had very good results with OXY clean on my carpets at home. If you get a white residue which does look like it has "lightened" the carpet after drying just soak it again with plain water and stomp on it with a few layers of dry towels. Both times I've seen this on my carpet, the residue did come out and it no longer looked "lighter".

8. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(heavenleigh @ Jun 8 2006, 07:05 PM) [snapback]268312[/snapback]</div>
    I know this is an old post, but if you think the condition of the trunk mat will affect the resale value, take the mat out. It's not like every car automatically comes with one, and a buyer is not even going to notice it isn't there.

9. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Weathertech.com cargo mat

I have it and it's made of semi-flexible rubber. 100% worth its price. It's custom molded and has minor edges that level up.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well. another Toyota mat is not cheap, but others are. spend $30, get another one. as for me, i agree with Evan, your mat did its job and its hard to tell by the pic, but heck, looks reasonably well... as long as it does not smell, i could live with it.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 3 2007, 08:41 PM) [snapback]490238[/snapback]</div>
    I have cardboard protecting the mat. I cut down a large box using the mat as a template.

12. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 8 2006, 01:12 AM) [snapback]267751[/snapback]</div>

YES Oxy Clean + Boiling Water! I got red nail polish out of a light gray run doing this. Don't buy the generic buy the real stuff.

note...may bleach a little

regards....

13. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    weathertech is your answer. I purchased one...it is super !!

14. Spoid

Spoid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 3 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]490313[/snapback]</div>
    A cargo mat cover? That's a new one! :)

15. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would do the opposite. Soak the mat in Dr. Pepper or Coke or brewed coffee for a day or so. Stain it all the same color. Then rinse thoroughly and do a light cleaning. In 5 years noone will know the difference.

16. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Replace it! keep the old one for hauling stuff, go to Ebay for a new one,

17. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Aug 3 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]490238[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 3 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]490313[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusBrian @ Aug 3 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]490334[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorf @ Aug 4 2007, 05:25 AM) [snapback]490464[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Aug 4 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]490548[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJGreen @ Aug 4 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]490550[/snapback]</div>
    Do any of you really think that the OP has been waiting fourteen months without doing anything while waiting for you to post your answers?

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 4 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]490603[/snapback]</div>
    Occasionally, I'll "miss" the year of the time-stamp, and think that something that is over a year old is just a month or so old...

19. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

For future reference here are a thing I have learned. Most people don;t the stain out
    because they only mess with the carpet that is stained. This trick was shown to me by a carpet cleaner and I have used on water and on an inkjet cartridge on light carpet a few weeks ago. The carpet wicks up the stain while it is damp. If all you do is scrub the carpet you get some of the junk out and the rest wicks up the fibers and re-appears. If you put another towel (that you really don't want to keep) on top of the stain after
    scrubbing it, then the stain will wick into the towel instead of stopping on top of the carpet. I was amazed
    that I was able to get yellow ink out of my home carpet but I put an old towel down and weighted it down
    to increase the tension and it just worked

20. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Aug 4 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]490692[/snapback]</div>
    When I've had removable pieces of carpet (floor mats and the like) that I wanted to get clean, here's what I did:

Remove the mat, take it to the 25¢ car wash, hang it somewhere, and spray the bejeezus out of the carpet with the high pressure want with soap. Then, set that to rinse, and rinse the thing. Finally, let it drip dry before putting it back in.

There aren't many things that can resist 1000 PSI hot soapy water.