1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

metalized tint and paint protection

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by trenapt, Oct 8, 2005.

1. trenapt

trenapt New Member

I wanted the latest info on these topics, so thought I would post a new one! I want to get the darkest, best heat-reducing tint legally allowed on all side and back (and maybe brow) windows, but don't want it to interfere with my nav and cellular. My local dealers carry Solargard and Llumar.

Also would like to get some sort of paint protection against rock chips, bugs, tar...and keep it as shiny as possible with minimal effort and expense (black paint). I don't want to spend my weekend applying 100 coats of Z-this and that. (I'm not THAT dedicated! :p ) I have read a bit about 3M Invisishield and Llumar's version.

So, ladies and gentlemen, start your suggestions!! :lol: And thanks in advance!

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i have the 3m invisishield...works great...had it on for more than a year up here in the northern part of the state..where winters are brutal and lake effect abounds...we did get ziebart paint protection which was applied when the 3m was put on...we have the tideland pearl ...which is gray/green at times...the only issue i have with 3m ,is on e the front lower bumper...on the corners it has a tendency to peel...however, they replaced it and recut it ...so really no problems...i didnt tint, but have been thinking about it...Indiana law is very picky...read the ICD 9 codes for indiana before you apply...the State is picky vs local law enforcement, at least around here...plenty of snow birds were ticketed up here for tint even with their cars registered in Fla. and they live here in the summer...they are in violation of tinted window law in In.

3. Virodeath

Virodeath New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am up here near Notre Dame, Indiana and just had Zeibart put on a metalic tint that does not affect the NAV and is legal per state codes. THey know the darkest you can go. I didn't go black in the back but rather legal fronts and two shades darker on the rear sides and hatch. Left the lower hatch window stock because they said it wouldn't look right being slightly bronze with smoke over it.

They offered up the paint protection saying you have it reapplied every year and you never need to wax your car, ect, ect but was very leary, was going to talk to some body shops to see if it was a gimic.. Your saying it is worth it? I also see a hard winter/salt from all the lake effect snow.

Viro

4. notsure

notsure New Member

By january will be driving one, how do you know which tint will work with the nav package?

Thanks

Also looking into the 3m invis shield, not sure how it will stand up to AZ heat.