1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

methodology: Niel deGrasse Tyson

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Aug 5, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A methodology posting, I came across the differences between 'senses' versus 'empirical' science. In a Nova Science Now Podcast titled "Coming To Our Senses" 7/20/2009, Neil deGrasse Tyson discusses the difference between using our five senses versus empirical science:

• human senses - are an opinion derived from our genetic profile. A food that taste great to me could cause others to wonder,'What is wrong with him?' As Neil says,"It is hard to do science equipped with only our senses."
    • "The most successful fields of research are those rich in the methods and tools of measurement and do not depend upon the genes of who is doing the measurement."
    It was such a clear statement of empirical science and good engineering that I wanted to share it here. This is a clear statement of the methodology that I try to follow and most admire in others when investigating this marvelous vehicle.

Opinions rank with hypothesis, a wild thought, but have little or no merit until backed up with empirical data ... something anyone can replicate and test. Metrics and the methodology are the crucible that separates the gold from the tailings.

Bob Wilson

2. pulse

pulse New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had to comment on this thread title - I went to our public library a month ago, ripped Tyson's 10 disc series on "Death of a Black Hole", and listened to it all using the Prius AUX jack...

Very easy to understand author. In that series, he addresses this same topic by initially presenting X-Ray and Radio telescopes as an extension and enhancement of any senses available to humans. Then goes on to discuss just how subjective (and subject to interpretation) our senses are...