1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mexico

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gurmail, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wonder if any one has any experience of visiting Mexico in their Prius? I have been there often but never in my Prius. I know the Prius is not being sold in Mexico yet so, could the bigger dealers srvice it if needed in an emergency? Also, are there any Prius groups/fans there who might like to see it? Since many members live in S CA, I am sure some people have been over the border.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mexican mechanics are among the world's best, because of their long experience in fixing old cars that people cannot afford to replace with new ones. (Though the rich of Mexico drive the most expensive new cars.) What I'd be concerned about is if your Prius broke down you'd be going to a mechanic who'd never seen one before. We've read plenty of horror stories here about the poor folks who've been the first one at their dealership with a problem or SSC. You might or might not be covered under your warranty, and the Toyota dealers in Mexico might or might not have access to the TSB's or tech manuals in their own language.

I'd also be scared to drive in Mexico. I lived there for 4 1/2 years, and they drive like maniacs. But it sounds like you've been there before, so you know what you're getting into as far as road conditions and drivers.

3. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, Daniel. I have complete confidence and full respect for the abilities and ingenuity of Mexican mechanics and the roads are fairly good these days. Mexico ( and most other developing countries) ahve really progressed a lot in the last decade or so and the infrastructure( on the whole) is excellent. My only concern was if I break down due to something serious, there probably won't be any one experienced with a Prius. I am sure they will be able to handle small stuff like oil changes etc but the hybrid system may be hard. I was also curious if there are people interested in the Prius in Mexico( I am sure there are some) and if anyone had ever gone to a big city like Mexico City or even just over the border and had noticed any interest. While there I wouldn't mind meeting afficionados or displaying it at some place for a few hours if anybody were to be interested. Kind of like what John 1701a and others did here with theirs afew years ago when the Prii were scarce and few people knew about them. I speak fairlygood Spanish and would not mind answering questions.

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As for interest in the Prius in Mexico, I can't help you. I left there in 1999.

An additional problem you might have in the event of a serious breakdown would be availability of parts. Would Toyota ship parts to Mexico? Or would you have to order them from a U.S. dealer and have the additional wait time?

I'll agree that the highways were pretty good wherever I went. Condition of city streets was mixed. But my biggest fear would be the drivers. And bandits if you drive cross-country at night, though I'd rank that as much less of a concern than careless drivers.

But then, I'm scared to drive in any big city, even here in the U.S.

If you go to Mexico City you need to be scared of cops. They'll spot you as an out-of-towner, pull you over for a make-believe offence, and demand "la mordida." Someone told me of being pulled over by a motorcycle cop, paying the bribe, and then paying an additional price in return for the cop's promise to guide them to their destination. Of course, the cop just sped away. And a Mexican friend told me that every time he goes to mexico City he has to take extra cash, because he'll be stopped, on average, every second trip there, and have to pay. He keeps a separate roll of bills in his shirt pocket so he can pull out an amount that will satisfy the cop, but not make him appear rich. I think he mentioned 200 pesos ($20) as the usual amount.

5. swepri

swepri New Member

Hey Daniel, can you please type slower!!!!

I am using the "View posts since last visit" and can't catch up to make the list shorter :wink:

Obviously I am a slow reader :| .

/Paj

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think my biggest concern would be the gas - but it's been a while since I was down there (as a kid) myself. Other than the roads, the gasoline quality from Pemex seems to stick out. But perhaps that too has improved in more recent years.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you get unleaded gas everywhere? Can you trust the stated octane level of the gas? I wouldn't drive into Mexico with any car built for the US market, much less one as novel as is the Prius.

8. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In response to Richard, yes, you can get unleaded gagoline- Magna Sin- almost everywhere and yes, you can trust the gasoline. Hundreds of thousands of people drive across the border every year without any problems. You will be amazed if you haven't been there since childhood.

9. flyingprius

flyingprius New Member

Worrying about the octane of gas in Mexico shouldn't be any more of a problem than in the U.S. Two months ago, the local NBC affiliate in Albuquerque sent out state scientists to test gas quality; they found that 2 out of 10 samples had the wrong octane by up to 5 octane points- (R+M)/2
    Some stations were pumping out 82 octane out of the 86 pumps. And no, New Mexico is not part of Mexico. This practice happens all over the country. In fact, Mexican gas is probably better to drive with considering it doesn't have MTBE or that seasonal ethanol us Prius drivers get annoyed by.

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wife and I sailed in the Sea of Cortez from '85 to '91 "home ported" in La Paz, Baja and had our Ford 150 pickup and Honda scooter down there as well. Never had a problem with the gas or diesel. In fact, met a couple from Alaska who flew down in an old Cessna, camping on the beach and filled the aircraft with the local auto Pemex gas. In addition, I had to have my Perkins diesel rebuilt in La Paz. Quote to have it done in San Diego $9500 -- the local guy completed the job for $2500. It helped that my vessel diesel was the same as the that on the majority of 18 wheeler reefer trucks that have plied the Baja 1000 for years. The Prius will not be a problem in Mexico as long as you stick with a certified Toyota dealer and like anywhere in the world you should check first before driving there. There are areas in the US and Canada where there is no Prius expertise for hundreds of miles but this will be less of a problem as the Prius becomes more popular. Mexicans are extremely clever and ingenious folks.

11. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As I said, I have complete confidence in Mexican mechanics and infrastructure, gas etc. I was hoping to hear from some Prius owners who might have visited and had some idea if anyone/ group etc is/are interested in the Prius there and if they knew any Toyota dealer there who might have some interest or service capability. I thought that since the Prius is so popular in Los Angeles- San Diego area, there were bound to be some people who wou;d have gone across. I have driven in Mexico) and flown there) frequently without any problems, just not in a Prius yet.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, what is the problem?

13. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No problems. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience. For example, if anyone knew a dealer who had some experience and also if there were any groups/ people who might be interested in seeing a Prius.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, very good. If they can do something about the corrupt cops, parasites in the water, and murderous bandits, I'll be happy to go back.

Don't forget to check your car insurance. Your policy may not cover driving in Mexico.

15. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm... corrupt cops, parasites in the water, murderous bandits... if we could just eliminate these in Canada and the US as well. 8)
    The advice regarding insurance is very important.

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Parasites in drinking water are not a problem in the U.S. and Canada. Mercury, benzene, herbicides, radioactivity, lead, ... sure, but I wouldn't worry about parasites in the water north of the Rio Bravo. All our parasites are in government.

17. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    you don't have an edge on parasites in government, we can probably exceed yours by population ratio . Before I made my last post I googled "parasites in US drinking water" just to make sure I wasn't making that remark without justification. Give it a try and see the results. I already know we have them in ours. :)
    I must research this so that when our Prius arrives we will make sure only non-polluted H2O is used in the young lady's drinking water. ;-)

18. gturtle

gturtle New Member

You definitely have to get special Mexican automobile insurance, which you can buy near the border. At least that is the way it was 20 years ago when I went to Mexico.

I've been thinking about driving down to Baja, but then I have not been babying my Prius.

19. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The cops are not that corrupt. Usually they do not bther (savy)foreign visitors. I have never had any problems. A little "corruption" isn't always bad. Often it is the people who create this corruption by not paying voarius taxes which leaves the govt with insufficent money to pay good salaries( before I get flamed, I am talking about tax evasion, not higher taxes) and often the people don't grossly flout the laws. If you were stopped by a policeman for say speeding in the US or Canada or Europe, what would you prefer- a $200 fine plus points on your license, increase in insurance rates- possible loss of your job if you are a proffesional driver- or $ 20 slipped to the policeman who lets you off with a warning? I know many will say they would rather be cited as a matter of principle but if really given the choice.... Also, many foreign visitors to Mexico do not bother to become aware of local traffic laws, assume they don't apply to them and consider themselves above the law. They often speed knowing the enforcement is less strict and it won't effect their home driving records and that they could pay a bribe to get out of trouble. When stoped for a violation, a ticket and a bribe both serve as a detterent to the motorist. You know if you speed, you have to pay. The only difference is who the money goes to. For most, it is much better( financially) to pay little income tax, avoid sales tax, business license fees etc and only pay the odd bribe once in a while. This way the govt recieves less revenue but pays lower salaries which are supplemented by bribes. If the policemen in the US and Canada were payed say, only $ 800 a month, more of them may also be tempted to accept the odd bribe for minor infractions.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Now that's rather amusing, as it assumes that you get stopped for something you actually did. I assure you that my Mexican friend knows the Mexican laws and abides by them. But the cops in Mexico City see his Queretaro license plates and know he's from out of town and cannot fight it, so they stop him, accuse him of something he didn't do, and he has to pay. And that's very common.

Another example of how corruption hurts: Mexico has stringent pollution laws. Cars must be tested and get a sticker. But there are enough corrupt inspection sites, that if your car cannot pass, you go to a corrupt inspector and pay a bribe to get your sticker. The result: zero enforcement and the world's worst air pollution.

I spent a month at a language school in Oaxaca, but I had to flee to Guadalajara on one day's notice, because the corrupt immigration officer in Oaxaca wanted a bribe to renew my visa. But of course it's illegal to offer a bribe, so had I tried that, he very likely would have demanded a bigger bribe to refrain from arresting me for bribing him. In Guadalajara I was able to submit my renewal application without a bribe. One of the reasons I ended up in Queretaro, after my semester in Guadalajara, besides Qro being a very nice place to live, was that the immigration office there is honest.

Corruption hurts everyone, and nobody accepts "the odd bribe." The honest ones are honest, and the crooked ones will shake you down every chance they get.

That said, low-level corruption was less common when I was there than it had been. I don't know if it's changed for the better under President Fox.