1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mexico

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Gurmail, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wonder if any one has any experience of visiting Mexico in their Prius? I have been there often but never in my Prius. I know the Prius is not being sold in Mexico yet so, could the bigger dealers srvice it if needed in an emergency? Also, are there any Prius groups/fans there who might like to see it? Since many members live in S CA, I am sure some people have been over the border.

2. tara

tara New Member

Taking a Prius to Mexico

I wouldn't take any car down to Mexico unless it was an emergency and then I would take an old one not my beautiful Prius. Bad gas and bad things can happen to you with no recourse. Some have had minor accidents only to have to hand over a significant amount of money just to go home......if they will let you. There have been people injured down there that they won't even let them back across in time to receive the emergency medical care that they need. Some have even died because of the delays. Heck, I won't even walk across the border anymore and I have grown up in San Diego and used to cross the border all the time. I now work a few miles from the border and have just heard too many stories to feel safe anymore. Also too many cars stolen here end up down there. Some are even driven by the Mexican police.

My dad used to say a word to the wise is sufficient. Enough said.
    Tara

3. ReneGS

ReneGS New Member

Re: Taking a Prius to Mexico

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tara\";p=\"38302)</div>
    Can you say Paranoia? :D

I haven't taken my Prius down to Mexico but have taken much nicer and "flashier" cars down there. I've never had any problems down there. While a lot of it has to do with luck, I belive it also has to do with how I handled myself while down there. Yeah yeah I'm sure being hispanic and speaking fluent spanish helps to blend in but IMO its not as bad as people make it out to be.

Of course I'm just talking day or weekend trips. Nothing that would require me to buy Pemex gasoline. No way would I used that stuff in any of my cars. [​IMG]

4. tara

tara New Member

8)

Well yeah "Paranoia strikes deep..... and into my soul it did creep" while working at a San Diego hospital. I have spoken with too many people who have had trouble getting back home to decent medical care after having auto accidents across the border....... plus I had to help bail a friend out of trouble after she had a minor car accident. Us english only speaking blondes were lucky that a few hundred bucks bought her out of there. Of course this was many many years ago. Maybe the Federalies don't automatically assume that the American is always at fault any more.

Any way.....Buenos Suerte.....I think that is spanish for Good Luck,
    Tara