1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD and Calcuated MPF differs big time!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tazman, Aug 9, 2006.

1. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all, just put in my second tank. Had 444 miles and put in 7.21 gallons. Stopped it sooner this time since it spit gas back at me the first tank I filled. The MFD had 49.7 mpg, but my calc said 61.44. What's this all about? I know the full bladder can change sizes, but here in Hawaii the temps are pretty much steady. I put about 1 gallon and a half more after the pump first cliked off. Any ideas on this would be appreciated. I'm not complaining as 49.7 is WAY better than my other car got. Thanks. :rolleyes:

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would suggest just going with the MFD number. Your bladder is still new and may expand and become more flexible with use. You could also try checking it over several tanks, instead of just one, to minimize the error.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Aug 9 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]300422[/snapback]</div>
    I think a 3 tank average is about right. Smooths out the ups and downs.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup... average it out. Also, the bladder is expanding and loosening up as you refuel every time.

I remember last year after my first road trip with the car. It took in 7 gallons and I had 4 bars left and travelled 400kms! I thought the pump was faulty but turns on that tank became my record tank haha.

5. molgrips

molgrips Member

I always seem to get 2mpg more when I calculate at the pump than the MFD says. Then again, I DON'T have the bladder so my situation is different. Anyone else out there driving without a bladder get the same situation?