1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD black, Most of the time?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ffaowl, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ffaowl

ffaowl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2007 Prius MFD is black 98% of the time. Every once in a while the screen will come on and function properly for a short period of time then go out again. It appears to be a bad connection. I have read the info about the poor soldering on the earlier models, does this pertain to the 2007?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the proper Gen II sub forum from the Prius v forums.

3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Search on this site, not the first, as I recall, there's a member that offers a service, send him your mfd and he will repair it or ship another unit, not the end of the world, fast and good results...
    pEEf is the username you want...

4. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can find a used one on eBay or Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for around $100 if you are patient and is takes about 20 minutes to swap it out. I have done it at least 10 times.

5. tomcornell

tomcornell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd be reluctant to replace it with a used display since the replacement likely has the same manufacturing problem that caused the original to fail. If it's repairable then repairing it would be the better call. If it involves reworking solder connections then that seems like a repair that should last a good bit longer than a used one would.

Also, 20 minutes to replace the display? If it involves the rigamarole of disassembling half the dashboard then I think that would take substantially longer.

Thoughts?

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

If your Combination Meter has failed, go to Toyota and see about the warranty enhancement that they have. I did the safety recalls a while back, and just recently received the letter about the Combination Meter program. They will replace it if you are in the time frame.

7. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 philips screws and the rest snaps off like Legos. Done it many times. First time takes about 20-30 minutes being cautious. Goes much faster second and third time.

8. tomcornell

tomcornell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This part of the operation comes after you've disassembled all the plastic shrouds from the dashboard, right? If so, that's the complicated part that I was mentioning.

All the photos and descriptions that I've seen make it sound like quite an operation to remove the various dash panels which is why I've put mine off for so long. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

9. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The panels don't have to actually be removed, you can just move them out of the way and leave the wires connected. It is very simple once you have the left AC vent off which you may need to gently pry with a trim tool or butter knife.