1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD blackout w/ DICE/VAIS?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CCC712, Aug 13, 2008.

1. CCC712

CCC712 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So with the Prius's "safety" feature that prevents you from messing with the MFD while above 5 mph, what happens with a DICE or VAIS unit when you start driving? Does the audio part of the MFD black out where you can't see any song info/text and can't change song/playlist? Or can you still see text and change song/playlist with the MFD while the car is moving?

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can you not change any settings on your MFD >5 MPH? That's not the case with mine; it responds to my inputs, including those for my VAIS XM unit, at any speed. I was under the impression that the only thing that couldn't be changed while mobile was NAV settings (which I don't have).

3. CCC712

CCC712 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I haven't bought a VAIS yet but when I called them and asked about text display and controls the support rep said that the MFD "blacked out" so that you had to control the unit with the steering wheel controls on the stereo controls (the ones below where the CD goes in). He led me to believe you could no longer use touch screen controls once the car started moving, which I thought was strange.

Maybe he told me wrong, it sounds like in your case you can still use the touch screen for XM even when the car is moving.

4. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, I can control XM via the screen while on the move.

I was trying to think what reason the VAIS rep might have had to tell you that. Either he/she is misinformed, something is different between your car and mine, or something is different between your (future) VAIS unit and mine. The only difference between our cars that could seem (to me) to matter is whether yours has NAV. I have no idea whether or how that might affect the operation of a VAIS unit. I have the VAIS SLX, which of course does not include iPOD integration, so that might make a difference.

If you have NAV and you're looking at the SL2Vi, then it would make total sense that at least the video would be disabled while moving. This from the VAIS web site:
    "If your vehicle has a fifth generation nav system the SL2Vi broadens browsing options to include artist, song, album, playlist, audio book, podcast and more. A simple touch of a button and you switch from playing music to playing your videos from your video iPod on your nav screen with remarkable picture and sound quality."
    I don't think anyone with a legal stake -- including Toyota, VAIS, and possibly your state -- would allow videos on the NAV screen while the vehicle is in motion.

5. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No blackouts whatsoever with the Dice Silverline.

6. CCC712

CCC712 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well its good to know that what the VAIS rep said was wrong.. it seemed kind of odd to me that the product would lock out your ipod then lock out your MFD while driving letting you only control it blindly with steering wheel controls.

I don't have NAV, so the SL2Vi is not an option for me. But its possible he misunderstood which product I was asking about and was referring to SL2Vi video not working while driving.

7. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And, as I suggested before, it could be that the iPOD-capable unit behaves differently than the SLX.