1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Died Suddenly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Daddybean, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Daddybean

Daddybean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read all the posts related to MFD and touchscreen. Does anyone know a simple way to verify that in fact it's the MFD that needs replacing?

2. Can I do a reset by pulling the ACC fuse (power source)?

In W. Palm Beach, FL the dealer retail is $1,387 for the part. They want $100 to diagnose that goes toward the install.

Thanks,

Cameron

PS Died while driving normally. Had low voltage issues the day prior while changing Aux battery.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Go see Josh Mellor up in Melbourne. I'll bet he can sort it out for you for cheaper. It is possible to repair the MFD, or replace it with salvage.

mellor's automotive

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I do not know, but I had the idea that the MFD is powered by a 12V source. I would recheck the 12V voltage, the connections and try rebooting the 12V a couple of times. While the neg lead is disconnected from the chassis ground, disconnect the HV and reconnect, firmly pushing the orange handle in. Check for rust & or corrosion and tightness at 12V grd. point. All simple stuff. Next: Connective plug to MFD, not mating or corrosion. Florida does that!

4. Daddybean

Daddybean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After driving approx 5 times, the MFD began working again. If YOU get a suddenly inop MFD after replacing the 12v aux battery, perhaps you should wait to repair in case it resets itself.

Note: the MFD worked fine after replacing the aux battery, then suddenly died 2 days later.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I predict that you will experience another MFD failure soon, since the root cause appears to be a bad solder joint within.

1 person likes this.