1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD failure not covered by extended warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sjdlincsatcom, Aug 3, 2006.

1. sjdlincsatcom

sjdlincsatcom New Member

We have an '04 with 80,000 km on it and the MFD has just failed showing the symptoms described in TSB EL002-05. The dealer will happily repair it -- $3000+ for the part plus labour. They tell us our Extra Care Protection extended warranty doesn't cover it...even though Toyota knows that the part is potentially defective as described in their own service bulletin...unbelievable.

The part is defective; Toyota knows it's defective; we paid $1700 for an extended warranty that was supposed to cover everything; and our only options are to pay for the repair ourselves or drive the car as is. Thanks Toyota.

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you contact Toyota Corp. about this? Have you try another dealer?

According to http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/extende...ponents_nc.html

List of Excluded Components
    • Accessory Drive Belts
    • Batteries
    • Body Panels
    • Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes
    • Bumpers
    • Carpet
    • Chrome
    • Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate
    • Dash Cover and Pad
    • Door Trim, Handles and Fabric
    • Filters
    • Fluids
    • Glass (including Windshield)
    • Headliner
    • Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Hinges
    • Hybrid System Main Relays
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery Module/Pack
    • Hoses
    • Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to, Cup Holders, Ashtrays, Covers, and Vents
    • Lamps
    • Light Bulbs
    • Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers and Fasteners
    • Paint
    • Rotors and Drums
    • Rust and Corrosion Damage
    • Seat Covers
    • Service Plug
    • Shiny Metals
    • Spark Plugs
    • Structural Framework and Wells
    • Tires
    • Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Weather Stripping
    • Wheels and Rims
    • Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber Component)
    I don't see the MFD is excluded.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm... maybe things are different in CA? i don't know what the warranties up there are like but i don't see why they'd exclude something like the MFD. down here they have a refurbished MFD exchange program, part costs ~$400.

maybe you could inquire about that program and see if they participate?

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Since there is a list of exclusions, demand they show you where it is excluded.

If they cannot, demand they replace it.

If they don't, complain to the higher ups AND go to a different dealer.

There is a history of these going bad....they should honor the extended warranty.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

call Toyota Canada's Customer Interaction Center at 1-888-869-6828 and just a heads up you'll need your VIN which is on the dash and the odo reading and the TSB number and tell them you have the extended warranty from Toyota and the MFD failure is a known defect. If this doesn't get the response you want ask them for the snail mail address of the Corporate HeadQuarters so that you can send them a note via registered mail outlining your problem. Make sure that you register it in fact double register it and send a copy to the service manager and another copy to the bussiness manager of the dealer ship. Also send a copy to the BBB in Ontario. This will get you a MFD for sure. I believe the address for Toyota Canada is
    Toyota Canada Ltd.
    1 Toyota Place
    Scarborough
    Ontario
    M1H 1H9

Hope this helps. Dont' give up and document every thing that you've done, and do.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Frank, I'm wondering if I should take mine into the dealer even though the problem haven't resurfaced? Or should I send Toyota Canada a nice e-mail?

7. ribbs

ribbs New Member

I too have an '04 with the extended warranty - Toyota has replaced it twice, no questions asked, no charge. Your dealer is, as the kids say, wack.

8. sjdlincsatcom

sjdlincsatcom New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ribbs @ Aug 4 2006, 05:15 AM) [snapback]297560[/snapback]</div>
    We've already talked to 2 dealers -- same story from each. Apparently they put the part number into their system and it comes up as 'not covered'. We'll be contacting the ECP division directly today. Hopefully we'll get a reasonable response. I've seen a couple of different reports from people who have had this replaced under their extended warranty which is certainly encouraging.

Our past experience with Toyota is that everything is a struggle. They are not, at either the dealer or corporate level, eager to step up and take responsibility. I just wonder how many others in my area have paid the full price to replace a defective MFD.

By the way, we have already contacted Toyota through their customer care number. Their response thus far is 'talk to your dealer'.

Anyway, the struggle continues...

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    keep the pressure on. Worst case scenario is that you should end up paying around USD$400 for a refurbished MFD. Almost everyone here has been successful pleading their case to get Toyota to cover it.

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 4 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]297588[/snapback]</div>
    One could think that Toyota has its act together enough so all customers in all countries are treated the same, and one could be wrong...

11. jrmgkia

jrmgkia Wish I was cycling

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Our 2004 Prius with 50,000 miles just started showing symptoms of the EL002-05 failure as well. The dealer said they tried to get Toyota corporate to foot the bill but had no luck, they then suggested I try, so yesterday I called corporate Toyota with a list of 9 reasons why they should act in good faith and replace the screen. I was told they would get back to me in two days with their response. I don't have the extended warrantee but this is a known defect and the dealer wants $3,800 :eek: to replace the thing so something better give. I'll keep you all posted!

Our Prius page: http://www.jasonandginny.com

12. Frank Hudon

If you really can't get it done under warranty and there is a possibility you won't, slim as hell in my opinion if you follow my procedure, don't buy a new one get it from a wrecker and have a radio shop put it in for you. This is a half hour procedure, at best an hour at worst, I've pulled them in a parking lot at a 7-11, and then proceed to lodge a BBB complaint. Also write the local news paper consumer complaint reporter a note and explain the whole thing in detail that you have the extended warranty and the dealer is crapping on you. I see a new MFD in your car. At the top of every letter that you send put CC: dealer name CC: Toyota Corporation CC: BBB CC: Ottawa Hearld or who ever you send the story to. Time will serve you, Not them. I had a problem with a Toyota truck I bought new and was trying to get a little item fixed and when I did this procedure I got home from work and the telephone was hot from it ringing all day.

13. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you have the "Platium" or "Gold" extended warrantee?

There is a difference in component coverage. The Gold doesn't cover lots of electonic bits like radio, nav, etc so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't cover the MFD

I would bet good money the Platinum one does though.

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When did they start offering Gold for a Prius?

Back when I cared, the Toyota site only mentioned Platinum...

15. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    As a previous poster said, definitely call the Toyota Customer Experience Center... I did earlier this week because my dealer was refusing to cover my defective glovebox and dash warpage even though they were at fault when they incorrectly re-installed the dash after the steering recall. The lady assigned to my case called me a day after and said they'd replace both things for the cost of a 1/2 hr of labor ($39)... sure beats paying $145.97 for the glovebox alone... I feel it's a fair deal given the dash is being replaced too.

After experiencing the MFD failure myself, the dealer agreed to order a replacement... ETA is early next week.

16. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This response has a US perspective so bare with me.

Toyota has never said that the Gold warraty was ever to be sold on the Prius. Only the Platinum warranty, which is essentially a bumper to bumper warranty, minus the consumable items in a vehicle, such as belts, spark plugs, filters, fluids, brake pads and shocks, struts.

Toyota has amended the platinum warranty in the past year to exclude the battery and associated systems, however the platinum warranty offered prior to their amentments should cover those components as they were not explicitly excluded.

Or rather, in short, the Platinum is an exclusionary warranty, meaning that it lists excluded items that are not covered, rather than listing items that are covered.

Good luck.

17. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Aug 6 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]298708[/snapback]</div>
    Much of what I see as excluded are things people break themselves....or that break down as result of routine wear and tear....

Also...battery and systems are covered anyhow up to 10 years by the basic warranty....so

Battery control module, hybrid batter, hybrid control module, and inverter with converter are covered for
    96 months or 100,000 by basic warranty....powertrain, 60 months or 60,000 miles...

18. sjdlincsatcom

sjdlincsatcom New Member

Toyota has finally agreed to cover the repair under the extended warranty. Some of the posts from this forum helped to persuade them to change their view.

Although this is a 'win' I still don't see why it had to be a fight in the first place. Toyota (Canada) should simply live up to their warranty obligations. Also equally disturbing is the lack of willingness of the dealer to 'go to bat' for us. Time to change dealers...

19. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sjdlincsatcom @ Aug 9 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]300503[/snapback]</div>
    good for you! and you should get it for free with the extended warranty. Other wise why buy it?? If I was you I'd still drop this on the consumer reporters desk at the Ottawa news paper and ask them why you had to fight tooth and nail to get something that should have been an automatic replacement. Maybe they can get a response from Toyota.CA

20. Skarka

Skarka Junior Member

My MFD has just failed. The extended warranty is covering the replacement.