1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD failure; options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rowmaster, Jun 13, 2008.

1. rowmaster

rowmaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I gather that MFD failure (i.e. "check airconditioner connection") is a known problem in 04 models. The dealer just quoted me $4500 to replace the unit.

Any suggestions for where/how to snag a used unit? Love the care - had 80K miles on it when the unit failed.

2. RatedN

RatedN New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would look on eBay. I've seen many used ones for a fraction of that price (like this one). Just make sure it's for an 04-05 and that is has the nav buttons for your pkg #8.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you are good with a soldering iron, it may be possible to fix the one you have - check out this writeup by Hobbit:

Prius MFD

4. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I used hobbiit's info to repair mine. It takes 30 minutes and costs $10 for a soldering iron (unless you have one and then it would be free).

Try it first...at a minimum take out the MFD and take it, along with hobbit's guide to a PC repair shop. They'll probably charge you $25 or so.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    About how much might a dealer charge to remove and re-install the unit? Maye a better question is, how long do those jobs take according to the shop manual. I can do the soldering myself but I hate the thought of tearing apart the dash.

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

My service manual does not give repair times. I am sure the dealer does have flat rate times for warranty work, etc.

It probably is not as bad as you think it is. Most of the dash pieces are held by "snap in" fasteners; there are only a few screws. Take a look on Hobbit's link page - I think there is a link to Chris Dragon's guide to taking the dash apart with good explanations and photos.

7. wwbjd

wwbjd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My MFD failed (AC message) the first night I had it.. is it common on 08's? Thankfully I haven't seen it since.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not common in '08s, it's possible you had/have a loose connection be sure to take it in to have it checked if you ever see it again...before your warranty period is up.

I second the recommendation to try a self/local repair.
    Getting the MFD out of the dash is not difficult at all. There are instructions posted at Hobbit's (I think) and many other places on the 'net'.
    I admit I'd be a tad anxious about the soldering, but what the heck, the worst case scenario is that you mess it up...it's already not working, you won't make it worse. Best case is you fixed it for free and saved up to $4500 (which is a rip off...the MFD shouldn't cost more than $3000 and install takes a matter of minutes for an experienced installer and less than an hour for a first timer.)

My next choice, failing the self-fix, would be to buy a salvage MFD from an '05 or '06 on Ebay or elsewhere. Should be under $500 and you can have the dealer or any decent radio shop install it for you if you don't want to do it yourself for free.

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

According to Hobbit's investigation, there was a design change sometime in 2004 to fix this problem. It should not affect the newer models.

10. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is unbelievably easy to get it out. It will take no more than 5 minutes. The dash is like a snap together model.