1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD faulty, dim backlight, backup camera works, no radio or A/C

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Limeibook86, Aug 4, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Limeibook86

Limeibook86 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone,

My 2006 Prius's MFD has a quirk which developed today. The display will show the Toyota logo on startup, and the banner at the top will show that my Bluetooth is connected to my phone. However, the A/C, Map, and other screens don't show.

Upon startup I can tap where the "Agree" button usually is for the GPS terms of use (but is not currently showing up on the screen). I hear an audible sound to tell me the button was pushed, so I know the touch functionality is working and maybe the menu is there... but it's not being displayed. Weird!

The display remains black. If I change the radio via the steering wheel, the top banner on the display will show the changes, etc... but the rest of the screen will stay black. I tried turning my lights on and off and adjusting the dimmer, but it makes no difference.

I'm attaching two photos, one of the radio being changed (notice the black background) and one with the backup camera.

If I switch to the backup camera, the screen will display that video feed fine. Overall the display is pretty dim, so I thought this may be a backlight issue. However, since other things are displaying, that wouldn't make sense.

Could there be a loose connection to the parts of the car that drive some of the menus? I'm used to servicing electronics, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue. I'm puzzled!

IMG_7009.jpg

IMG_7012.jpg

Thanks!
    -Steven

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can't imagine when mine starts doing that I just dump it and put one of the low mileage takeouts I have stored away be it '05 or late 06 and up.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder if you inadvertently "switched" the MFD off. There's an option to have the screen black if you get tired of all that Pri-usity being displayed all the time.

I think that if you press the INFO (hard) button then on the "travel info" (on screen) button, it should return to normal.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.