1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Intensity vs. Temperature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by unruhly, Nov 21, 2006.

1. unruhly

unruhly New Member

I'm sure I read some posts about this phenom a while back, but searching revealed nothing.

As the temps are dropping into the low 40s, I've noticed that the MFD is extremely bright until the cabin warms up. So much so, that I have had to turn off the screen for a while at night to be able to see.

My original screen was the exact opposite. (Sreen replaced under warranty last summer.) With the cold temps it was fairly dim until it warmed up some. I didn't mind it that way 'cause it was still visible and it brightened up pretty quick from it's own heat. No more than a minute or two.

But the new screen stays very bright until the entire cabin gets to about 72. Then I notice it dimming just as if I were hitting the intensity adjustment in rapid succession. About 5 steps down and then at the normal intensity level. Raising the brightness control does nothing, and lowering it all the way only dims it slightly.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm, that's a strange one. your first MFD reflects the most common problem. unfortunately that's probably going to have to go to the dealer if you want it fixed... :(

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It's not my experience either. I thought perhaps your dimmer control might be bad, but that doesn't vary the MFD intensity except the shift from night and day mode.