1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD malfunction and DICE?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by molain, Apr 15, 2007.

1. molain

molain Junior Member

I just had my second MFD break on my '04 Prius. Since April 2004, it has worked flawlessly. I installed a DICE unit for my iPod in december, and within two weeks, my MFD broke (the "check connection to a/c" problem). My dealer replaced it for free, despite being out of warranty. However, I noticed as I admired my restored functionality that I still appeared to have an old display (people on this forum have described the updated one as toggling between "energy" and "consumption" when the info button is pressed). Now, only four months later, my display has already failed again. I'm wondering if the DICE unit is somehow involved, or if I'm just extremely unlucky. Anybody else have simliar experience? The worst part about it is, with a broken display, my car won't even recognize the DICE so I can no longer use my iPod :(

This is in no way a complaint about my DICE unit. I have an older iPod, so my functionality is somewhat limited, but it's totally been a worthy investment! I don't want to scare other people off from buying it, unless this turns out to be a legitimate problem.

Thanks!
    -Ben

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molain @ Apr 15 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]423703[/snapback]</div>
    If you couldn't toggle b/w Energy and Consumption you did not get a refurb MFD...maybe they gave you one harvested from another Prius that was malfunctioning.

1 person likes this.
  3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  4. tljax

tljax New Member

I am also having my 2nd MFD replaced although I do not have DICE. I DO have XM though... My first was Check AC connection.... Video Phone was GREAT at showing service rep the problem.. I also recieved a second gen MFD.... This one broke by having any touch input only activate controls on the FAR right side of the display. Meaning the touch screen worked everywhere, but wherever I touched only activated right side buttons. New one should be here in a few days.
    <_<

5. clarklewis

clarklewis New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    my mfd appeared to have died recently, but it turned out to be caused by my dice unit being imcompletely plugged into the cd2 port in the back of the radio.

of course initially i assumed it was a dead mfd (04 prius), so i bought a refurbished one from steve woodruff at autobeyours.com (great guy!). it didn't work either (radio still dead, climate control says "check a/c connection", super-slow buttons, etc). steve sent me a second (in case the first was incorrectly refurbished), which didn't work either. he suggested checking my radio connections, which is when i discovered the dice plug was real stiff and only 75% plugged in. i pushed it harder, and the mfd worked, as did my old one. the radio works, and the dice unit even works again!

now if i can just get my "check engine" light to go off and STAY off...

1 person likes this.