1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriAva, Dec 14, 2010.

1. PriAva

PriAva New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008. I just returned from a 300 mile trip. About an hour from home, while changing stations on the radio, the audio went out and the Audio Off screen came up. The radio would not power back up. I switched to the climate control and the screen came up but was not functional. The next thing I noticed... the 5 minute gas mileage intervals on the Consumption display gradually ceased to display after each 5 minute interval, and after 30 minutes, all were gone. Also, the miles since the last gas fill-up no longer increased, but stayed the same the rest of the way home. The next morning, I started it up, and the radio worked, as did the climate controls. I drove it for about 15 minutes and the consumption display was working properly again, as was the mileage display from my last fill-up. Any ideas here on what the problem might be?
    Also, another question. First time I remember seeing this on my battery charge display. It stayed at the 7 bar green level the whole trip with all flat surface driving at highway speeds and about 20 miles of stop and go city driving. Normal? I remember it going into the blue bar area on previous trips.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How is your 12V battery? That's always the first thing to check when you have odd electronic issues with a Prius.

If your battery is okay, the MFD and its connections become suspect. Make sure all of the connectors are properly seated and free of corrosion.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The classic MFD failure in 2004-2005 Prii has been rare in later Prii as Toyota corrected the manufacturing defect late in the 2005 production run that led to a cracked solder joint. Search for "MFD Failure Hobbit" (The Hobbit researched and documented the failure mechanism in the early Gen2 Prii MFD as well as the repair).

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  4. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rare at first, but now they seem to becoming more common. I've repaired several now from 2007-up. Same goes with the cluster display board.

Still, This problem could be caused by a fault anywhere on the BEAN or AVC-LAN, so it's best to connect TechStream and see what you find before replacing anything.

If the MFD is indeed deemed to be at fault, I can likely repair it.

1 person likes this.
  5. PriAva

PriAva New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is there an illustration with instructions available on how to access the connectors/connections? I don't have a service manual.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Read Hobbit's detailed information package:
    Prius MFD
    Peef is also a great resource.

JeffD

Qbee beat me to the punch :)

1 person likes this.
  8. PriAva

PriAva New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks a million, you guys! I'm going to get on it.

9. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    For what it's worth, my 09 MFD failed about 6 months ago - but the failure mode was different. The touch screen abilitity ceased. Nearly everything else worked - just couldn't do anything with touch screen. Replaced under warranty.

10. PriAva

PriAva New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Update:
    Since my warranty was going to expire next month, I decided to take it to my dealer and have it checked out first. I figured they would find nothing, as it was still working, since I have been driving it.
    I explained all the symptoms I described in my original post to the service manager. He acted somewhat surprised at the problem, as if it were a rare thing to happen. After about 45 minutes he came to me in the waiting area and said they were ordering a new "control unit" for the display that would be in sometime next week. He did not say what they had found. The repair invoice has the ordered item on it. Part #83291-47232 - Computer, Combination.
    When I got into my car to leave, I noticed that all the display functions were working except for the consumption and energy display, for which the screen was blank.
    Will let you know the details of the problem after I go back in next week... if they will tell me.

11. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny, That's the part # for the combination meter (instrument panel display), not the MFD.

Although, if the combination meter malfunctions it can affect many other systems, including your ability to shut off the car.

It's possible that's the problem, maybe TechStream showed some problems with it. I'd be interested in hearing your report.

1 person likes this.
  12. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: See [this] post to find out about repair for the combination meter.

1 person likes this.
  13. PriAva

PriAva New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My special order Combination Computer has finally come in after a month instead of a week as I was originally told. I am to go in tomorrow to have it installed. Since there was some concern mentioned here that this part was not the one to fix my MFD failure, I would like to get a copy of that TSB EL002-05, detailing the MFD failure, to show the service manager. Where can I find it online?
    I don't know why the combo unit needs replacing if it serves the speedo dash display, which I had no problem with. I will try to get some answers tomorrow. Everything is still working OK on both displays. I mentioned in a previous post that the consumption display was blank when I picked up my car after they had checked it out. Dummy me neglected to check the Screen On/Off option. I guess they turned it off during the check and didn't turn it back on.

14. PriAva

PriAva New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Never mind... I found it here in another thread.

15. PriAva

PriAva New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well... I took my car in Friday morning and was told it would take 2-3 hours to install the combo computer. I got a ride home. I received a call from the service manager about noon and he asked for the details on my failure. I am now talking about the head service manager, not the one with whom I originally talked, who wrote up the work order. I described my symptoms to him, and he said that the part ordered was for the speedometer area display, not the display I was referring to. I told him I had wondered about that after reading the TSB on the problem, but when I mentioned the TSB to the service person I first talked to said there must be some associated connection that the technician found. Anyway, he said they could find no reason to replace the combination computer and could not find any problem with the MFD. I asked about loose connections or bad solder joints, and he said everything checked out okay. I told him that since I did have a problem, while under warranty, that could not be duplicated, would I have a continuation of warranty under the circumstances? He said that he would note on the repair invoice that they would honor warranty service on the MFD for another 3 years/36K miles.
    So the failure is still a mystery and everything is presently functioning as it should.
    Thanks to pEEf for supplying with the info that made me sound like I knew what I was talking about when I discussed the situation with the service people.

1 person likes this.