1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD MPG ASU

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dmarcus123, Nov 8, 2006.

1. dmarcus123

dmarcus123 New Member

Could someone please post just what it is the MPG shown on the MFD is measuring (in the mode where the bar graph is showing - not the mode where the power flow diagram is showing)?

One thing I am getting pretty sure of - it isn't the MPG I've gotten over the number of miles shown to the right of the MPG (ie the number of miles since refueling or since the reset button was last hit).

Thanks!

2. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have now over 15000 miles since picking up the spaceship 1/24.
    I stopped hitting the reset button a long time ago.
    the mileage of the MFD is very close to the mileage I have calculated on my spreadsheet. miles driven/gallons purchased over the months of ownership.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    the MPG is the mileage you've gotten since you last hit the reset button. I believe (and someone check/correct me on this) that in the 2006 the miles portion resets when you refill with more than 3 gallons - so the two numbers aren't synced unless you hit the reset button.

4. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

My MFD and calculated mileage have been pretty close on my first 4 tanks of gas...then on the last one...I was thrilled when the MFD said 44.5 mpg at the end of the tank (I fill with 7.5 each time, roughly).

Calculated was 40.5...lower than my last two tanks which were 42 mpg for both MFD and calculated....go figure. I'm around 40 - 42 mpg, I guess and that is good for the kind of driving I do.

terri

5. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Davey Bob @ Nov 8 2006, 12:16 AM) [snapback]345295[/snapback]</div>
    Davey Bob, I am thinking your question is what exactly is being measured right? I seem to recall from other posts that the MFD measures the amount of gas being injected per ??? (dont' recall the per what thingy).

Like Terri was saying over the long haul your numbers doing strictly miles divided by gallon should be pretty darn close to the running MFD if you keep track of it.

I too get about 2 mpg more than the MFD, my wife always lower but that's another thread, LOL. IMHO that makes since when you think about it because there are times when the car isn't moving but the motor is running (ICE). So wouldn't a strictly injection calculation be skewed? That is if the (??? thingy) which I can't remember is something other than movement based, that could easily account for 2 mpg, but I'm definitely grasping for air now, LOL! <help ... GLUG, GLUG ... please some techy, help, I'm drowning>

6. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Nov 8 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]345483[/snapback]</div>
    This was the first tank where I got 4 mpg more on the MFD than on calculated...but, I also did a lot of keeping the car in park for short stops, after the ICE was warmed up...hubby was in the car....so my MFD didn't reflect all the on and offs I usually have when I run short errands....but if I actually only got 40 mpg (calculated) might as well shut it off. I usually do, since hubby usually isn't with me when I run errands.

terri