1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD not functioning

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by rvarn, Mar 5, 2014.

1. rvarn

rvarn New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hooked up an aftermarket radio to some success. The stock speakers have no bass, and mids are kind of muddy. BUT - on the wiring harness I soldered together, I put everything together according to the guide posted by 3prongpaul, and the system does indeed work.

Interestingly, the MFD, dome light, and clock all turned on intermittenly at the begining, but now, are not functioning proprerly.

1: the MFD is showing me at 99.9 mpg average - this boviosly isn't right (I've burned through a third a tank in 2 days - right at like 150 ish miles?)

2: MFD is not displaying outside temperature

3: MFD isn't showing me the energy screen either, so I can't monitor my hybrid battery for malfunctions.

4: Clock isn't coming on.

5: dome light doesn't work either.

Just so I'm clear - I've got the 8 speaker wires matched + soldered, connecting stock speakers to aftermarket plug. (small one and a big one to a single plug - JVC unit) I've got 4 more connected to it as well, the orange, red, and yellow accessory/dimming/power wires, as well as a ground. T-ed into this setup is a different connecter going back to the factory radio, which is SUPPOSED to power everything that's missing. (speaking of orange, red, yellow, and ground).What'd I mess up?

Thanks!

Richard

2. rvarn

rvarn New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also - MFD functions intermittenly. It will be working fully, then stop.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Richard,

I assume you've done the obvious and unplugged your added stuff to see if the MFD behavior returns to normal?

A thing I would do next is go into the MFD diagnostic screen (search this forum for threads on how to bring the screen up) and it will show you the addresses of the different devices that it sees as present and is able to talk to, and any error codes. You can try this with your extra stuff disconnected to see what the normal results look like (ok, if there are codes shown, do a memory clear, then wait for it to re-test, then you see what the normal results look like). Then you can plug your stuff back in and do the same thing. (BTW, the error code list is in volume 1 of the service manual.)

One of the devices that should show up and communicating is the Gateway ECU. That's the box that forwards the information from other ECUs in the car (like fuel consumption and temperature) onto the AVC-LAN so the MFD can see it. It should definitely show OK when your stuff is disconnected. If it doesn't (i.e. it shows an error, or it isn't listed at all) you need to fix that first - maybe you knocked a connector out that you didn't re-seat.

Once you are sure everything is OK with your new stuff out, you can plug the new stuff back in and see what changes. The diag screen gives you a positive way to see when you've got it right or not.

Have you downloaded the wiring diagram? It's helpful. You might also find useful info in this thread.

Good luck!
    -Chap

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It justs sounds to me like one of your connections are bad.

5. Stormz

Stormz Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was there any resolution to this? Sounds similar to my issue.