1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD on or Off, and will it affect life span?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bill Lumbergh, Feb 8, 2006.

?
  1. MFD off, will last forever this way.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MFD off, but adjusting the volume and temperature will still cause it to die.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MFD on, how else will I track my mileage and see "where I'm going"? Will last a long time because i

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. MFD on, I'm gonna break it for sure due to continued use.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally leave the MFD off, as it's distractnig and I want to maximize its lifespan. How 'bout you?

2. benighted

benighted New Member

The LCD screen should last the life of the car without any problems.

LCD technology doesn't suffer from burn-in as CRT and Plasma does. The most common failure to be expected with aging LCD's is "stuck" or "dead" pixels. This can happen wether you use the LCD screen or not because the liquid crystal still ages.

The backlighting will also gradually dim, just like on any sort of display.

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, the backlighting will eventually fail too, but the bulb in most LCD displays (at least as far as computer monitors go) is rated for around 60,000 hours, which is almost 7 years of being on 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year. Since most people don't drive their cars like this, it's not likely to be a problem :p

If you drove your car for 4 hours a day, your screen would probably last somewhere in the range of 40 years - I'd be thinking about a new car before then :)

Of course, the screens in the car may be manufactured to different standards, and certainly temperature variations have an effect, however it's probably nothing to worry about.

Dave

4. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It's never even crossed my mind to turn it off to "save" it. It's part of the car and is made to be used.

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    what other have said... it's 1) part of the fun of the car (and the FE game) and 2) it should outlast the car with the few hours/day it's in use

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd get a sunshade for the windshield. I'd be more worried about heat than screen usage. The screen and surroundings can get pretty darn hot in the summer.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I normally leave it on. If it was a situation where I would be using the radio for a long time without being in "Ready" (at a drive-in movie, for example), I would turn the MFD off. But that would be to save power, not the screen.

8. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see no reason to not use it. I'm not worried about wearing it out.

9. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see no reason to not use it. I'm not worried about wearing it out.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Turn it off if you find it distracting. That's a safety issue. But if you turn it off to "save" it, what are you saving it for? To be able to make a television set out of it when the car dies, 250,000 miles from now? It's there to use. I'd rather have it die (if it's going to) when the car is old and nearly worn out, than not be able to use it now, and in ten years have an old junker with a perfectly-functioning MFD.

11. chinook-hybrid

chinook-hybrid New Member

My wife and I leave it on, but, we opted for a screen protector. I bought it from sigma-automotive online. It doesn't interfere with the touch screen functions and is UV protected. Plus, you can't even tell it's there. Not bad for $12 IMO.

12. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same here. I only turned it off once, and only to verify that it could be turned back on again by pressing any of the buttons around the display.

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never turned it off to "save" it, but there was one time when I was driving on some really dark roads that I felt the need to turn it off to be able to see the road well.