1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD problems after stereo install - advice please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by KCobby, Jan 17, 2010.

1. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Well...I thought I was so close to being done with my stereo install but I'm experiencing some MFD failure. I'm hoping some of you can give me some ideas about what might be wrong and what, if anything, I can do to fix it. (I'm close to taking it to a local shop to fix what I screwed up...)

The issues: The screen turns off. When I turn the car on, it's dim, but slowly comes into normal brightness. But where it would normally go to showing the default energy consumption screen, it just turns off. If I press Climate, or Audio, or Info, the display will return, then default to turning off.

Yes, I checked the display setting. But this is also where the trouble is noticeable: the display screen will come up, but only has options for "Turn off" and "ok" on the top right, and on the bottom "brightness" and "contrast" but the middle is screwy, showing the middle of whatever previous screen was there - i.e., climate, or audio. (I don't remember that being normal anyway.)

Background: first, the climate control DOES work. I tried using the "F8L" install method by using aftermarket wiring harnesses to go from the new stereo into the existing Prius wiring.

(The pics on the wiring of the harnesses can be found here (post #44): http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-audio-electronics/38700-stealth-install-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius-5.html)

So, the 20 pin connector is still connected to the back of the Prius stereo so I didn't do any resistor modification. But, as I said, I think that is okay since the climate controls seem to work.

Equipment installed: aftermarket Kenwood stereo (ala F8L style once again) in the map pocket area, also a PAC SWI-JACK to try for stereo controls on the steering wheel. That too works relatively well.

The only thing I DID NOT wire up was the speakers as I installed aftermarket ones.

So...:confused::noidea:

Everything looks as F8L wired it (minus the speaker wire harness) and my symptoms seem unusual compared to those who normally have MFD problems after a stereo install.

Any ideas?? Is it possible I still need the resistor? Is there a way to reset the MFD? Would a low aux battery cause these symptoms?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. As I said, I'm feeling so defeated and I'm close to handing a few months of personal work over to someone to help me fix what I screwed up...but I'd really like to find a fix.

Thanks for any info :thumb: (sorry for the long post)

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I left you a voicemail. I'll hit you up later today and see if we can work through this. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have no help at all to offer, but I'll be watching to see how this works out. Glad you're going first!

- D

4. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well...to follow up on this, I'll say that I did finally figure it out.

So after looking around at all the wiring diagrams and schematics, searching for codes and meanings, and even installing a new battery, I decided to try to start over and clear the codes. And guess what?? Everything is fine! Ha! :doh:

I guess these codes were thrown when I was connecting things and testing from before.

So, tip #1: when checking codes, clear them first then run again to be sure.

And what about the MFD turning off? For some reason, the default went to "screen off" and I just had to reset the settings and...well...all seems right with the MFD world.
    :blush:

Now I have to solve one more issue with the speakers and I will hopefully give a write up of my stereo install adventure...

5. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah good news. Did you by any chance disconnect things without first disconnecting the battery ground? I was in a hurry to try something last night and did that, resulted in a "Problem" alert and big red exclamation triangle when I put it back together and powered up. But it cleared itself after a little while.

- D

6. ashe

ashe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    glad to hear you got everything figured out. can't wait to see your final install.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm stoked it was something simple man!

Sorry I didn't get back to you but every time I planned on calling I would forget your number at home. Grr

8. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hey people,
    I am having very similar issues and I am definitely more than a bit strung out about it, all help and advice is appreciated.

So I picked up a Kenwood Excelon KDCX993 after reading about it on here.

I went to get it installed today along with a PAC-SWI jack for the steering wheel.

I have aftermarket speakers in the doors and an alpine amp in the trunk.

I took this to a shop to get it done - they took out the factory head unit, and put in the new one and the jack.

I turned on the car after the install and the MFD was not functioning normally. There were no arrows going despite the ICE kicking in, no outside temp, no current reading. Climate control said that the A/C may have been disconnected and to check it.

He took out the new unit and put the stock stereo back in, and I just drove home a few minutes ago, I have to say things felt really weird, for one thing when in Park - you get no arrows going anywhere - it also feels like startup and idle is weird - the ICE doesnt really kick in for very long - but maybe I'm just sensitive right now.

Also, the air conditioning is acting up, when I set it to 'feet and defog' if you turn the temperature up past 75 you can hear the fans turn off and only blow at your feet.

I am like freeaking out over this, at this point I want my car back to normal - I don't think these guys know how to handle a prius - we set it up to try to install the new kenwood in the map compartment below the stock stereo, but I am having problems with the stock unit back in place! HELP plz - F8L?

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ejmckee,

Give me a call tomorrow and I'll see if I can help. I can talk to your shop and see where they went wrong. The install is not at all difficult but some people don't know about the need to run the resistors or keeping the factory deck plugged in.

10. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yep, F8L is your guy...(I think he needs a red cape with an "S" on it for "Stereo"!!!)

But to me this sounds like a classic example of not including a resistor mod in the install. The Prius hates that and will do things like not supporting climate control functions. My problems were a bit different, but I'm positive that - at least initially - the problem for you seems to be related to the lack of a resistor.

F8L recommends buying some aftermarket harnesses to bypass that modification. Did you do supply those to the shop as well?

Good luck with it - I'm sure you can still get it back to normal.

1 person likes this.
  11. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, I'm convinced that I've made just about every mistake you can make...but I kept thinking maybe I'll be able to help someone else avoid it in the future. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I did something that caused the computer to throw those codes. Now everything seems okay - of course, the other day after driving for two hours, the whole display freaked out and I also got the red triangle of death, along with a bunch of other things. But the codes seemed "communication" related and after clearing them with my scangauge, they haven't come back. I'm thinking the 12 degree temps were causing grief somehow.

Anyway... pictures and writeup to come when I have a bit more time.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  12. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Grr - I didn't realize I needed that.. I see that on another thread now - I did try to check out what I would need on Crutchfield - outfit my car, and it doesn't seem to mention the need for the resistor unit.

Thanks for the reassurance/advice

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LMAO! Thanks Kevin. :p I'm just glad you got your stuff figured out. That was a bad chemo week for me so I apologize for leaving you in the dark.

Eric, We'll get your situation figured out. Sounds like they just didn't use the resistor mod and now you can just have them install it the "stealth" way and be done with it. :D

1 person likes this.
  14. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    ZOMG SUCCESS finally!

Okay I now am happy to have a stealth install kenwood unit, I have only used it for about 15 min on the ride home but after reading through the manual this thing has so many crazy features I can't wait to customize everything. I will definitely post some pics and such because I am psyched on this. F8L big props for giving over-the-phone advice.

My only slight issue right now is a high-pitch whine that seems to come up when I press on the accelarator and the ICE kicks in, when coasting and using electric it goes away. I can probably live with this because you cant hear it when the volume is up.

I will post more when I get the chance to play with it, but I made lots of people in the audio shop jealous with the Kenwood KDC-X993 especially at a price tag of $210. Thanks for all of the help. Great forum community.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear you got it all worked out man! :)

Wait till you start using the digital time alignment feature and get the vocals to come out of the area behind the MFD. Sounds SOOOO much better than the lead vocals coming from both doors :/ lol

Just play a good vocal track and start dialing in some time delay on the left front speaker. You may nee dot tone down the rears so they don't smear the image.

16. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hmm.. this will take some figuring out, I had them disconnect one of the speakers (center speaker?) because I read on here that it made everything sound way worse - is that the same one as the one behind the MFD?

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably. I never had the center speaker. So now your system is like mine. Just play with the time alignment feature and you'll get your center image back but it won't sound bad like people claim with the factory setup.

18. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    F8L is talking about what audiophiles call "imaging" or the sense that the band is playing for you from the hood of your car rather than that a CD is playing a recorded version of a band out of the speakers on either side of the cabin. It's done in super high end installs with (to simplify) a combination of speaker placement and the time alignment feature of the head unit. It's an audio illusion so to speak. One that I haven't yet created!

- D

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Here are some links with more info describing "Imaging and Staging"

Imaging, Staging and Directivity
    Imaging - is being able to pick certain sounds from different places. The singer would normally be located towards the middle of the car, guitars, trumpets, and other instruments towards the sides of the car. If you scatter speakers all around the car your imaging would be very poor, since you would be producing the same sound at different places. If you have a system with good imaging, the sound should seem to come from different instruments and voices, not speakers.
    Staging - is the ability of a system to "fool you" into thinking that everything (including bass) is in front of you. The sound should be similar to a stage in a concert, where the singer would be in the front center, and the rest of the instruments and background vocalists would be located to the left and right (but always on the front).
    Good staging and imaging are not so easy to implement. It takes a lot experimenting with speaker location and direction.
    Directivity - of sound is related to frequency. At higher frequencies it is easier to pinpoint where the sound is coming from than lower frequencies. This can be used to our advantage in car stereo. Tweeters are the most important part of getting good staging. They should be aimed towards the middle of the car. A way to "bring" the bass to the front of the car is to fool our ears by overlapping frequencies played by midbases and subs, so that your midbases actually "pull" the bass to the front, since lower bass in not too directional. You should crossover your midbases as low as you can (without getting distortion). Then cut your subs at a bit higher frequency (preferably 60 HZ or less). This will mix the bass coming from the front and rear, making the bass seem to come from the front. Adding a center channel also improves staging, if it is set up correctly.

How to Get the Best Stereo Imaging & Soundstage

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-staging-problems-in-prius-stereo-issues.html

1 person likes this.
  20. don_chuwish

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice write up and linkage, thanks!