1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Problems with aftermarket stereo in my 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by socal, Dec 22, 2009.

1. socal

socal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had a Kenwood aftermarket stereo system installed along with Sirius radio receiver in my 2007 Prius. What a nightmare this has been. When I got the car back the a/c and fuel consumption guage stopped working. I went back to the stereo shop and they finally figured out that the original head unit needs to be in the car and connected with a special harness to retain the functionality of the a/c and the fuel consumption. So they ordered the harness and installed it. Now the a/c and fuel consumption functionality works intermittently! So the head unit is still in the car and connected through this special harness (it is not in the original place - in fact, its under my seat) and sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Has anyone had this problem with an aftermarket stereo and been able to solve it? Also, I would like to know if its possible to keep the steering wheel light on if I have an aftermarket stereo system.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Boy they really botched that job. There are two ways to do this install:

1. Uses a 68 Ohm resistor to allow the new head unit to integrate into the system without affecting the MFD.
    2. Use a separate reverse harness and keep the stock head unit plugged in. This was my preference. Please see the following thread on installing an aftermarket head unit into the GenII Prius. Both installation methods are described within and there is a .pdf from Metra Electronics that describes the resistor method.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...alth-install-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius.html

If you fail to connect the 68 Ohm resistors or if you do not have the factory head unit plugged in then you will get weird climate control warnings and such.

3. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Trust F8L - he's our resident car audio guru. And he's right, sounds like they botched this install. So, you have the original head unit in it's place, or the Kenwood? What's under your seat the harness? It's hard to imagine how they did this.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about resident guru but thank you mate. :)

I called up his stereo shop and spoke with the installer and told him how I did my install about how he might correct the work they had done and so far Socal seems to be happy with the corrections and even has his steering wheel illumination back. So I think it is a happy ending for all. :)

5. Ubaid

Ubaid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I

Any wiring diagrams or photos for option 1? I have already installed an after market head unit and did not know that the MFD shared info with the original head unit. Since i have already altered the dash, i believe this will be my option to get everything back in shape.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A