1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Speed sensor wire?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Winston, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was looking into the Coastal Lockpick, and it is really expensive. Plus, it seems that you still cannot view album titles and songs on MP3 CDs while the car is moving.

How about if I install a little switch on the dash that interupts the speed sensor wire going to the MFD. Then when i want to enter an address or look at an album title, I just flip the little switch, do my business, then switch it back. I realize that it will upset my mpg calc, but I don't need to do it very often.

Will this work? What color is the speed sensor wire?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it will work. Only thing, remember that many/most CDs won't display titles unless you burn them to a new CD on your computer with something like Nero that downloads the info from the net and allows it to be displayed.

Also, when you disrupt the NAV speed sensor you only get about 1 minute of access b/c the system eventually realizes that you're moving even though it's not getting the speed sensor signal and will re-deactivate the touch screen. You can turn the switch off then back on and buy another minute and repeat that process until you finish entering the data. There are no such limitations on the Energy/BT/MFD speed sensor wire (note that there are 2 different wires).

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Jun 25 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]467601[/snapback]</div>
    You can see this page on Darell's excellent site for a brief how-to.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the links. That is definately the way I will go.