1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD steering wheel control meltdown

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bill60546, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, have checked previous threads and need some help.

Currently, the MFD on my 2004, on occasion, will freeze, when pressed the side buttons will have no effect and the steering wheel controls may or may not work. In short, the screen will say "check system" or "check external connection" or "air conditioning not connected", etc. I just picked up my car after the 30,000 mile service where the tech advised they could find nothing wrong nor could they get it to repeat the problem. At the last light before arriving home it happened again to which I returned to the dealer and showed the tech who was baffled.

Has anyone had this problem and, if so, which I hope it isn't, what was the fix?

Many thanks!

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They should have known better. This is one of the standard problems;
    slow degradation of MFD functionality, said to be due to some solder
    joints deep inside the unit going bad. You need a new MFD, and it
    should be covered under warranty.
    _H*

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what hobbit said.

if you're under warranty, you get a brand new mfd courtesy of toyota motor corp.

if you're not under warranty you're eligible for the out of warranty exchange program. if they try to sell you a brand new mfd instead, see my thread stickied at the top of the maintenance forum.

4. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all! Have already called the service tech regarding TSB EL002-05. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Many, many thanks.

5. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update. The service tech, while having a little trouble figuring out which MFD was in my car (old vs. new; with or without navi, etc.), did contact Toyota corporate technical service and the parts are on order.
    There is hope.

6. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the MFD replaced today. It took 2 hrs as the service tech advised and all is working again. Wheeeeeeeeew! Dont know the total cost but I did see one of the documents which indicated 1800 but dont know for sure.
    Thanks again for the help and recommendations.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill60546 @ Nov 20 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]352301[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget to take advantage of the bonus you recieve when getting the new MFD...you can switch b/w the Energy and Consumption screens w/ the INFO button on the steering wheel now...no more touching the screen to do so!