1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MG2 Stator replacement question

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by B4CDriver, May 17, 2014.

1. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Looks like I have to tackle this on a 2003 Prius. I saw the basics here:
    Luscious Garage | Blog | Gen 1 Prius Transmission Repair, P3009, P3120, P3125
    and here:

Now, my question is, when lowering the trans enough to pull the side cover off, does anything need to be disconnected up top? Does the inverter need to be disconnected or removed to get the job done? It looks fairly straight forward once you get the trans lowered.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Haven't done this job, but I'd bet the inverter needs at least moved slightly just to get to the transmission mount on that end. Maybe it can be moved as far as it needs to without unhooking everything?

-Chap

3. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always remove the wiper cowl and inverter. You could try unhooking MG1 and MG2 wires from inverter to give you more slack to lower the tranny, but it's not that much more work to pull the inverter completely. Also not sure how you could undo the "spike bolt nut" with the inverter in position unless you have really small hands.

And if the inverter coolant pump has not been changed, now is a good time to install a NEW ONE.

usnavystgc likes this.