1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MGT Blendmount for Scanguage II (mount above your rearview mirror)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by F8L, Aug 6, 2008.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured some might find this an interesting option for mounting the Scanguage II. My buddy says a lot of the guys on the Diesel truck forums use it.

[​IMG]

Check it out HERE

2. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    but where would the cable go? down the windsheild? straight down to the floor?

yuck!

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm no. You tuck it along the headliner (windshield area) then down the A-pillar (driverside), through the dash (there is an opening once you move the door seal) and into the OBDII plug. The kit comes with extension cables as well.

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh! well thats a horse of another color then! do I have to use thier mirror too? I like it!

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You generally use your stock mirror but after looking at ours yesterday I'm not if we have the required height. I might give them a call and see if they have used one on a Prius yet. If so then it would be a really clean install. :) I'll you keep you posted Sheepdog. :)

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They have one that works with the normal mirror, but it does not fit using the Homelink mirror.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Danny :)

8. echase

echase New Member

If anyone would like to trade their oversize homelink mirror for one that works with this, just PMM me ;)

9. pwrup

pwrup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    F8L, I have also bought a Blendmount to mount the Scangauge-II to the rear view mirror. On the A-pillar it indicates that the Air-Bag is underneath it! How did you remover the A-pillar plastic cover and what issues did you have with the airbag? Also, did you take pictures of the install? If not, I will post my install when done.

- pwrup

10. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The A-Pillar plastic just pops off. It's held by the same white pegs used on the door panels. I don't think you even have to pull the cover - you might be able to bend it just enough to slip the cable behind it.

I installed a CAT5 cable when my windshield had to be replaced due to a rock chip so I had full access to the A-pillar and headliner without removing anything. You can also buy flat CAT5 cables at Fry's electronics - a 7ft cable + coupler gets you adequate length to mate to the SG cable. Only problem is the flat cable is white - i guess you can paint the end that protrudes by the mirror if it bothers you.

If you use your own CAT5 cable, DO NOT use a red or orange cable! If EMT personnel have to cut the A-pillar in the event of an accident, red or orange cables signify high voltage, which in this case it is not.

Attached Files:

11. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not quite - while it is held on by pins, there is a special hooked fitting/pin on the A-pillar itself that needs to be turned 90 degrees to fully pull the cover off. It is there so that if the airbag actuates, the A-pillar doesn't become a missile. If your car doesn't have it anymore (others have posted about dealerships breaking them off), and you have airbags, I HIGHLY recommend you get it replaced, it's a safety issue.

See my Homelink Mirror install at ElectroChromic Mirror (ECM) Installation if you need details, it's about 60% down the VFAQ.

12. pwrup

pwrup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    talonts, the pictures of your Homelink Mirror install are great. With your procedure and the link to the online manuals at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-2G/files/Manuals/ I should be all set to remove the A-pillar to run the Blendmount Scangauge wire.

- pwrup