mice & screening off cabin air intake

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Coyotefred, May 24, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Cloud Watcher

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 2 cents: go straight to 1/4” galvanized steel mesh, over the cabin and engine air intakes. Scents only for areas where screens are not possible, essentially the engine bay.

drash likes this.
  2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I’ve used 1/4” hardware cloth to keep mice away and it works better for their bigger cousins like squirrels and chipmunks. Peppermint oil is ok but needs refreshing quite a bit. I’ve actually planted peppermint around areas to keep most critters at bay (it keeps the bigger ones away), but it is extremely aggressive. My best go to is crushed red pepper for areas that’ll remain dry or liquid pepper extract like habanero. It’s really good at keeping squirrels and chipmunks away but it is unfortunately a learned experience for mice and rats. They don’t have capsaicin receptors in their mouth like most mammals but it does cause acute oral toxicity about 4 to 26 minutes after ingesting. So it acts as more of a poison that can sicken them up to the point of it being fatal.

iPad ? Pro

Mendel Leisk likes this.