1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michael Vick to plead guilty....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tekn0wledg, Aug 20, 2007.

1. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

I was actually willing to reserve judgment on him until the court case went through. Now ESPN just announced he is going to plead guilty on Monday in a plea hearing.

Anyone who is intentionally cruel to an animal is despicable.

Arg.... I hope he gets 25 years.

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would just love to kick sand in the faces of all of the folks that were crying racism on this one.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 20 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]499252[/snapback]</div>
    He probably won't do a lot of time because he's going to snitch on a lot of folks I'll wager. Seems his career is finished. Doesn't the NFL have some policy about felons?

4. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 20 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]499252[/snapback]</div>
    Why Are Some People Like This??
    You See It With SOME Pitt Bull Owners...... They Want a Dog To Match Their BIG SUV.....
    Go Figure!!

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I, for one, wouldn't be depressed if a fellow inmate has an "accident" with a shiv on him. A few dozen times.

6. Washington1788

Washington1788 One of the "Deniers"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 20 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]499270[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, are you kidding? Unfortunately Vick is going to be a superstar in prison! Not only is he an NFL star, but he ran a dog fighting enterprise which garners a lot of "street credit" among those who populate our wonderful prison system.

As for his return to the NFL. As long as the charges do not directly relate to gambling, then he most certainly could return to the NFL after he has served his time. Any charges relating to any kind of gambling result in a life-time ban from the sport. However, other felony charges are not covered by the NFL's code of conduct. Clearly he would have a lot of baggage if a team picked him up. However, given his abilites to change break a game open, I suspect a lot of teams could look past his conviction, play up the fact that he has "paid his debt to society" and bring him on hoping he still has the same abilites he did before -- this is right up the Raider's alley!

The question is, as long as the charges do not relate to gambling, what he did is not related to his football playing, does the man have a right to try and make a living in the NFL once he's "paid his debt to society?"

7. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 20 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]499270[/snapback]</div>
    Hahaha, that is comical.

Even though I despise animal cruelty, I don't wish any physical harm on anyone.

That being said, I wouldn't be angry if that happened ;)

The race card will always be a factor in the minds of the narrow minded. It's almost like us saying that all Prius owner's are incapable of DUI because we all drive the same car. Pretty sad, isn't it?

Black, white, red or green, if you are accused of something and guilty for it, you should be punished despite your color.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain he'll never play professional football again. Although, maybe the CFL or Arena league might want him for publicity purposes. After all, they had Ricky Williams playing for the same reasons.

The NFL has some type of policy, though I'll let one of the resident NFL gurus look that one up, that states any type of behavior deemed inappropriate by the NFL, can and will be punished accordingly. Think Pac Man Jones.... Also the NFL had stated they were going to suspend Vick for four games prior to this statement of Vick's agent.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think Goodell's going to give Vick a chance at the NFL again. He's been coming down tough on guys and with a felony conviction, jail time and the nature of the crimes I think the Commish is going to make a big time statement and example. He does not want the NFL to get a reputation as a harbor for thugs. Maybe it'll be something short of an all out ban, technically, but practically I don't see any way a once exciting but marginally good QB is coming back after serving time in federal prison.

9. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At least one of the charges was directly gambling related. He will play arena ball right after he plays prison ball.

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 20 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]499252[/snapback]</div>
    Does that include eating beef, duck, chicken, pork, squid, shrimp, hunting for sport? How about veal?

11. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 20 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]499286[/snapback]</div>
    Right. I think the NFL has noticed some of the mistakes the NBA has made in the past, and as such is trying to prevent the same stigma from being associated with them.

I doubt anyone will want to pick up Vick with this type of case associated with him, especially after pleading guilty. Maybe if he were convicted in a close trial after pleading no-guilty.... but when you admit guilt in a case like this, you are basically admitting that you are a heartless person. If it was theft or a DUI it would be a different story. They would have a minor blip on their record and go right back to playing.

But there are heartless owners who equate a football team to a sweatshop and wouldn't blink an eye if it came to hiring a convicted felon if it meant they could win a few more games.

12. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 20 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]499296[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. The only deer I have ever hanged were already dead!

13. Washington1788

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 20 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]499297[/snapback]</div>
    Al Davis? :)

14. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 20 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]499296[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not going to open up that can....

While I personally do not agree with hunting, I am not going to say other people shouldn't do it.

As for what Vick did and comparisons to hunting, there are non. Vick killed a dog with his bare hands on numerous occasions [or so it is reported]. If you could kill a deer with your bare hands in a fist fight, I'd say you get to keep the meat. But a dog is a different story. It's not 900lbs with antlers. It's a moderately defenseless animal in comparison to a deer or a grizzly bear.

In Surry County Virginia some of the counts Vick is being convicted of face up to 40 years in prison, however the Feds have stepped in and he will likely face much less time.

15. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 20 2007, 03:35 PM) [snapback]499297[/snapback]</div>
    ESPN did a great run down of the possible places he could play following being released for prison. Many of the potential teams were looking to build new stadiums and couldn't afford the PR nightmare having Vick as a QB would bring. Honestly, even an owner like Al Davis isn't going to take a chance on Vick. He will play in the CFL or Arena League, but that is about it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 20 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]499303[/snapback]</div>
    First, he wasn't convicted. He is pleading guilty to Federal charges.

Second, he will still more than likely face state charges in Virginia.

16. Washington1788

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 20 2007, 02:40 PM) [snapback]499304[/snapback]</div>
    If Vick is not banned by the NFL and is only out of football for a year, two max, I firmly believe a team, or a couple of teams are going to take a chance on him. There's always someone out there who believes they can fix someone or that person won't cause "those problems" here. Given his unique abilities, and assuming he's not banned for life by the NFL, I think we see Mr. Vick back on a team near you.

Again, this raises an interesting question. Clearly someone who works in stocks or the financial sector who is convicted for insider trading should not be allowed back into that same industry. Vick's horrific crime has nothing to do with football. Once he has paid his debt, should be have the ability to make a living in what he did before this happened?

I put hurting/killing kids and animals at about the most repugnant things that a person can do, however, part of me believes that once he does his time, if a team wants to take a chance on him, they should have that freedom.

17. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 20 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]499304[/snapback]</div>
    True, not convicted because he's not man enough to face a jury. But I digress....

And yes, I'm hearing mixed things here in VA.... some are saying he will face charges, are are saying he won't.... who knows until it's all played out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Washington1788 @ Aug 20 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]499309[/snapback]</div>
    I think to an extent, you are right. Do your time and you are back on even ground with everyone else. However, given the nature of the crime, I am not so sure that will happen. For me personally I know it won't.

Let's look at OJ. He never recovered and he was found innocent. :blink:

These celebrities get all sorts of preferential treatment. He'll get his dreamteam of lawyers to get some special deal and they'll get his sentence reduced to 18 months in a leather padded cell with a big screen TV and the NFL network with Madden '08 on an Xbox 360.

18. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 20 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]499310[/snapback]</div>
    Both a guilty verdict following a trial and a plea of guilty result in a conviction.

19. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

Just saw this on the PETA website....

PETA is again calling on the NFL to add cruelty to animals—in all its forms—to its personal conduct policy. This case has clearly shown that NFL fans are just as outraged by cruelty to animals as they are by any of the other antisocial behaviors outlined in the policy.

As these recent examples show, the high incidence of animal abuse cases in the NFL indicates a disturbing trend that needs to be addressed immediately:

* Earlier this year, Vick's teammate Jonathan Babineaux was accused of inflicting blunt force trauma on his girlfriend's dog, Kilo, following an argument. Kilo died after reaching the emergency vet clinic.
    * In 2004, NFL running back LeShon Johnson was found guilty for his involvement in a massive dogfighting ring.
    * In 2001, former Eagles running back Thomas Hamner was twice convicted of beating his dog and has been convicted of animal cruelty.

20. Washington1788

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 20 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]499310[/snapback]</div>
    Actually Madden 08 did just come out and he's "in" it. Once the roster updates come out he will be removed -- much to the dismay of people who like to use him in Madden. I only know all this because I love the Madden games! :)