1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michalin Primacy vs Hankook Optimo tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sue_CT, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Sue_CT

Sue_CT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a 2008 Prius, driving in CT. As a nurse, there is no such thing as a snow day and at 6:15 AM many roads have not been traveled much before I get on them in the snow. I decided I can't take a second winter with the OEM tires on the car. I travel over winding roads, no mountains but some fairly steep hills. Those tires left me wondering if I would even make it. Scary bad. I was going to try winter tires but since I was always fine with good All Seasons in the past, the cost of repeated mounting and balancing twice a year or an extra set of rims and sensors, I am leaning towards all season tires again. I have read the good reviews of the Michelins, but they are a little pricey. 120.00/ea right now at town fair tire. Consumer reports also rates the Hankook Optimo very highly but they are only 71.00 ea right now. Almost 50.00 per tire is quite a bit. Anyone have any experience with those or opinions on one vs the other?

Sue

1 person likes this.
  2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the Consumer Reports November 2009 tire tests:

With the price difference and, more importantly, your wanting the best snow and winter performance in an all-season tire, I'd get the Hankook Optimo.

The Optimo is among the highest rated all-season tires for snow traction and ice braking, and rates higher than the Primacy in snow traction and equal to the Primacy in ice braking.

Here are the Ratings Charts for Consumer Reports November 2009 tire tests:

[​IMG] Consumer_Reports_Nov._2009_Tire_Tests-1.doc

1 person likes this.
  3. Sue_CT

Sue_CT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is what I was looking at. My concern is balancing winter performance over 3-4 months with gas milage and tread wear over 12 months. I am not sure just how much I would be giving up in gas milage.

Talking to someone on the phone from Town Fair Tire this afternoon, they recommend going with winter tires instead since I only have a little more than 10,000 miles on the original tires and they will switch the tires in Spring and Fall each year for free. I like the Michelin ice X and Bridgestone Blizzak based on Tire rack user reviews. The Michelin obviously are rated much better than the Bridgestone on CR.

The problem is that at peak season changes my Town Fair Tire has people lining up and hour before they open for service or have several hours wait (3-4 hrs is not uncommon) later in the day. Just a pain in the neck twice a year.

I was just wondering if the Primary are really adequate enough in snow or just how much I would give up in year round gas milage with the Optimo.

4. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As per Consumer reports rolling resistance is good for this tire. Based on several other relative comparisons I am assuming you may lose a mile or max two, nothing more than that.

I just came to forum to ask question about exactly this tire Hankook Optimo H727(only 195/60/15 size available) . I read my consumer reports mag couple of days ago and I was debating between

Michelin X-Radial at costco for $430
    Nokian WRG2 at Tirefactory at $530
    Hankook Optimo H727 at Tire Factory for $ 430
    installed incl of all taxes.

The main reasons I preferred these are ICE braking, snow traction, and low noise(all based on CR, supposed to be better than even Nokian WRG2).

It seems H727 is very new, and several dealers did not hear about it, and they only carry H725. But 725 has poor reviews.

One close by dealer is carrying this, and I scheduled to get my Stock tires replaced with these coming friday.

Only thing still I am not sure about it is, there are several negative reviews, thread life, and cupping issues with 725. Consumer report might have run this tire for may be few thousand miles( not more than 2k). So consumer report may indicate initial performance of this tire when it is new. This still needed to proven.

I am taking my chances, and will report my experience. If someone already had experience please let us know asap.

BTW it has100k miles warranty, but Consumer report rated just good( less the 80k rated tires) for thread life. I am guessing

Thanks

BTW: I checked the CR mag again. It seems that they test the tires upto 16k for evaluating the thread life.

5. acacia987

acacia987 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i was confused on the tread rating. i recently purchased the Pirelli p4 4 seasons (85k mile tread life warranty) and it got a fair in tread life. i thought 85k was above avg.

6. prev93

prev93 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I installed the Michelin X radials from Costco (Bridgewater, NJ) on a friend's 2005 Prius. I found the tire service there to be very good; they did not scratch the wheels and the balancing was perfect. Initially, the gas mileage was down a bit, but recovered after the tires broke in. They ride a bit more stiffly and make slightly more noise (more like a gentle singing) than the Integritys, but are generally quiet. I also plan on installing the same tires on my 2004 Prius. Those tires got excellent ratings on the previous Consumer Reports tire test.

7. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It seems many manufacturers quote high mileage which may be only achieved in certain conditions(May be mostly highway).

But, they are getting away with those claims( including many major brands like good year, bridgestone etc) with time limits.

Typically all these warranties are good for 5 years, and non-tranferable between vehicles or owners.

In average US miles/year is 10-12k, so by end of 5th year you would harldy seeing 60k, but by then also, if the thread is not to 2/32 they are not going to honor the warranty. Most people would not go to 2/32 anyways.

But if someone goes/pass all these hurdles and claim warranty( ex: some one driving 20k/year) what happens is that warranty is prorated, that means if the tire has 60k on a 80k tire, only 25% is prorated. The trick here is when they prorate, they would install same brand tire, and charge you Retail price (which is typically 20%+ of market price anways), and of course they would charge you install fee anyways. In the end they make money again on you.

So you are in a endless loop until you choose different brand this time and forego warranty.

8. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for info about X-Radials.

I did not know that Michelin X-Radials are noisier than even Integrities. Prius itself is very noisy because of all dash rattles, if it is a noisy tire, it make long drives tire some.

I thought OEM tires are very noisy, and I would not be happy with a tire that is more noisier than that at all.

9. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why not purchase a reasonable priced all season tire like the Hankook and a set of Real Snow tires balanced, on rims and change them yourself when the seasons changes.

I've got a 2007 and my Owners Manual says ....the Sensor system will not work if the sensors are not installed......Huh ?

I'd call Toyota and get their opinion. Good Snow tires can't be beat for safety.

A 20 some dollar hydraulic sizzor jack from Wal Mart will do the trick and easy.....

I've got the Primacy tires, for about 7000 miles, last MPG 47.8, but they seem to be wearing faster than I thought they would.

But.. Just my 2 cents.

10. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That works if you are in heavy snow belt, but for people who has occational snow, and mostly early morning icing on road, this would pretty bad options as traction, life, noise is worst with winter tires.

11. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [​IMG] The tire factory guy called that he got the stock, so I went in ahead and got Hankook Optimo H727 in 195/60 R15 installed today.

The tire has SNOW FLAKE enblem in addition to several other seasonal symbols(Total 5 seasons!). Summer, Rainy, Winter, Spring and then some wavy lines(not sure if it indicates any windy conditions or may be fall).

I just rode home back, and felt these are little smooth(softer), little less noisy than integrities it replaced.

But I will update when I drive little long distance on these. As per CR it is supposed to be better than several winter only tires in Snow and on ICE.

Cross my fingers and see how do they fare.!!

BTW, they also offered 45 day satisfaction guarantee.

Check the emblems in the attached image. (It seems I can not edit those incorrect image links)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Chinna. I'm also using Hankook tires, mine are "optimo K415". I don't know much about them, they were new on the car when I bought it, but I assume they are a summer tire. Where I am in Australia there is no snow or ice so we usually use "summer tires" all year round.

Interesting to see people mentioning Hankook tires, up until now I hadn't come across anyone else here using them. I don't really have anything to compare them with but they seem ok, the ride is good and I'm getting 53 to 55 MPG on them.

13. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, it seems those are summer tires. For us here we may have couple of months of snow, and some ice.

These are not that famous, but I thought I would give it a try based on CR ratings. I would have gotten Michelin X Radials for the same price, or BridgeStone traction AT or Touring tires for $50 less.

Good to know they are giving good fuel economy.

So far, it seems ride is quite comfortable, and quite compared to stock tires.

Anyways, I will report back my observations

14. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks chinna for the updates.

As of now, I am certain that the Hankook Optimo H727 will be my next tire when it comes time to replace my current TripleTreds (which is a great tire).

No other tire tested by Consumer Reports scored as well through all conditions -- dry handling and braking, wet handling and braking and, surprisingly, snow traction and ice braking where it scored as well or better than most of the winter tires tested. Seems perfect for those of us who get moderate amounts of snow in winter, but do not like to use dedicated winter tires.

Plus its scores are at least good in the other considerations like noise, comfort, rolling resistance and tread life.

And finally, its price is right.

16. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to confuse things more, I found the following on TireRack:

"Pick Up $70

When you purchase a set of four (4) new MICHELIN® brand passenger or light truck tires you may be eligible to receive a $70 rebate by mail. Offer valid on tires purchased from in-stock inventory between 12:00 a.m. EDT October 1, 2009 and 11:59 p.m. EST November 15. 2009.

Offer valid in the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia including APO/FPO addresses.

See all eligible MICHELIN® brand tires.

Tire Rack will mail a copy of your invoice to your billing address within 1-2 weeks. You will need to complete Michelin's registration form online to receive your redemption form and submit it, along with your invoice (website order placed page and order/shipment confirmation emails not accepted) to the address provided after registration. An invoice will also be shipped with your order."

But, when the list of eligible tires is reviewed, no winter tires qualify.

17. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is exact reason I bought these tires. I do not want to have dedicated winter tires for couple of months of random snow, and ice.

I can not really comment on how well they will do in snow yet, but based on CR, these would be definitely better than other contenders.

Comfort and noise I can confirm these are really good. Esp comfort, it feels like I got new suspension. Dash buzzing went down considerably.

Hopefully these will last long ( if not 100k atleast 60-70k).

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Chinna, just wondering what pressure are you running them at?

19. chinna

chinna Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Same as my previous Integrities.

38 Front, 36 rear(cold).( 3psi above recommended).

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, thanks for the info.

BTW. I'm running mine at 40/38 F/R. I haven't really experimented with how much effect the increased pressure has on the comfort levels.