1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin AS energy saver discontinued

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by terry brecheen, Aug 7, 2013.

1. terry brecheen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just talked with the manager of a Discount tire. I asked about the availability of the Michelin AS energy saver. He told me whenever current supply is gone they are going to the Defender. I sure hope he is wrong. From what he told me if I could fine a set and then had a road hazzard it's highly possible I couldn't find a matching tire by then. Any thoughts? .

2. prev93

prev93 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's an important consideration. Michelin still has them on their website as does Tire Rack. Good luck!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this came up before and turned out to be false. i would try to get an answer from mich.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Many D.T. stores are having difficulty stocking them, and their area warehouses also don't seem to be doing so. But they can still order them direct from Michelin if they bother to try. Most likely this particular person didn't bother to go beyond his local inventory. They don't even have a part number for them. In any case, Michelin is still selling them.

Merkey likes this.
  5. teamsc10190

teamsc10190 Stereo Prii (2011 and 2006)

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had Michelin Energy tires on my Gen II. When a road hazard took out the sidewall of one tire, I had a replacement tire on order with Michelin for nine months, before Michelin customer service finally advised they would be unable to service the tires and I'd need to replace them with something else. The tires were three months old at the time the damage occurred, and I drove on a crappy "loaner" from the tire dealer for nine months before needing to scrap the entire set and buy another set of tires. Michelin would not replace the tires, I had to purchase the replacements.

I was dealing directly with Michelin headquarters in Greenville, South Carolina, not the tire dealer. The point is that Michelin customer service; isn't.

6. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got over 10K miles on my Michelin Defenders now averaging 55 mpg with no hypermiling in ECO mode. Tire pressure set to 38 psi upfront and 36 psi for the rear.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is good info but unfort I think there are many Prius drivers posting Defender not good for Prius MPG, so we would have to sort that out.

I was trying to convince my self to pay $200 more for A/S vs. something like Conti EcoPlus you an get for much less $$$. The A/S seems to have stellar ratings for all handling characteristics and MPG, but not stellar users ratings. I guess users saying you pay ~$200 more and maybe get a couple years better MPG but may not pay off the tire cost. But hard to beat the snow wet dry handling and MPG is great too for A/S.

PS- I am thinking 4 new A/S before winter

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Its important to differentiate between ES and ES-A/S. The plain ES tire is a cheaper OEM tire that's not available to the public AFAIK. The A/S tire is a consumer tire that is very much available with some availability issues in specific sizes.

9. terry brecheen

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge about tires here. It really helps someone make a calculated decision on what they feel is best for them. I bought my 2012 Prius with 30,000 miles on it a month and I struggle to get 46 to 48 really babying it. The dealer put on a set of Accelera Alpha tires on it and I suspect they have significant drag on them. I checked them out online and they are just a cheap tire to get by with. I just would like to see my mileage in the 50's with little effort at speeds 60 to 65 like most of the people I see post on here. I called another Discount Tire and they told me that they are available and I think I am going to bite the bullet and try the AS energy savers. Thanks for all you help here. I will let you know how it works out.

10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I run my new new ES-A/S at 5# over and saw an immediate gain in MPG over the OEM tires at the same pressure. Better handling, much quieter, etc. You could run those cheap dealer tires at 40+ for a while and see what they do. Keep in mind that I'm the guy who buys new cars and immediately throws away the OEM tires - but I've never been sorry I did.