1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Defender tires made it to 86,050 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kc410, Mar 13, 2017.

1. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Purchased a set of Michelin Defender tires at Costco in June 2014.
    Had a couple punctures that were repaired at Costco at no charge.
    Tires were rotated & balanced at Costco every 5-10K.
    Tire pressure was always at 44psi all the way around.
    I gave up trying to tell Costco to leave the tire pressure alone. Whatever they would do, I would just go home & inflate everything to 44psi (cold).
    Just installed another set of the same tires at Costco. March 2017

TPMS: Early on, once I had set the tire pressure to 44psi I reset the TPMS system via the reset button under the steering wheel. From what I understand it is supposed to light the TPMS light when the tire pressure falls 25% in any tire. Resetting it when all the tires were at 44psi means it should alert me whenever any tire pressure falls 25% (11 pounds). This means my TPMS light alerts me at ~33psi which I like lots!! I have yet to need a tire changed on the side of the road :)

Even with the Costco rotation the tires were wearing ever-so-slightly uneven. At around 50K, after getting the tires rotated at Costco, I would go home & rearrange the tires according to their tread depth. After measuring the tread depth across each tire I would put the best two tires on the front drive wheels.
    Around 70K I just started doing the tire rotation myself keeping the best two on the front axle & the worst two on the rear axle.
    NOTE: there would be <1mm of difference between the tires, but this still allowed the tires to continue to wear very evenly.
    Winter is the dry weather in S FL, so there has not been much rain the last few months. Had we been going into the rainy season I would have replaced the tires around 75-80K just to be safe.

Happy Motoring :)

#1 kc410, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    m.wynn, RMB, mmmodem and 2 others like this.
  2. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tire noise is very low.
    Ride at 44psi is stiff, but not uncomfortable.
    But one of my previous vehicles was a MG Midget that I put 80K on.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You got your tires rotated at Costco. Then went home and rotated them some more. They took air out of your tires, and when you got home you aired them up again.

Sounds like going DIY was a good idea. (y)

m.wynn, CR94 and StarCaller like this.
  5. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the interest of full disclosure, Costco does a balance & rotate (I was going for the balance). After they moved the tires around I would measure tread depth & move 2, 3, or all 4 tires if needed. I finally gave up on getting tires balanced & just moved the tires as needed.
    I only started placing the tires myself at ~50K, when the tread started getting worn down quite a bit.

I was trying to figure out what pattern Costco uses to rotate their tires but gave up. Often it appeared to be a random pattern.
    I shall ask them the next time I go for a rotate/balance (5-7K).

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Owner's Manual says front to back, back to front, and keep on the same side, no cross rotate, which is a little unusual. It's funny, in other parts of the world (IIRC) it does say cross-rotate. Anyway, I've stock with that: at least only two of the wheels are collecting curb rash, lol.

I rotated the tires on our daughter's Pilot a couple of days back, plus some fluid changes. This morning my back and knees are telling me all about lol. This looks interesting:

upload_2017-3-14_8-3-10.png
    upload_2017-3-14_8-4-19.png
    I think the two bars are semi-free to rotate?

#6 Mendel Leisk, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  7. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The harder the rubber the longer it lasts but you may end up with more road noise and rougher ride.

That is why most tires were built to last 30,000 miles.

8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the tyres are directional, it's essential to rotate front to back and NOT across! How did the sidewalls of the Michelins look? (…any micro-cracks?)

9. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OP here - Defender tires are non-directional.

The sidewalls looked great without any sign of micro-cracks. It took <3 years to roll those 86K :)
    No regrets on getting another set of them!

danlatu, WilDavis and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    So how is the MPG with the Defenders? I was poking around and I'm seeing varying reports of MPG either taking a small hit or a very large hit.

Edit : I should note that there is some discussion as to whether or not the Defender XT ( i.e.-Costco ) version takes a larger MPG hit than the 'regular' Defenders....

Another edit...found this :

MICHELIN® DEFENDER™/DEFENDER™ XT

Mostly marketing stuff...but they to go out of their way to say that there isn't really any difference between the two.

#10 farmecologist, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    danlatu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OP here - Since I keep the tires at 44psi it doesn't seem to matter if the tires are LRR or not. I did not notice any change from the old Defenders to the new set of Defenders. Around flat FL I'm getting 50-55mpg on most tanks. Much of my driving is around town stop-&-go, 40-45-50mph. At 70+ it will be in the low 40s.
    All of this is in ECO mode with AC.
    Hauling around a bicycle or 2 on a hitch mount carrier _really_ hits the MPG if the Prius is traveling any faster than ~45mph. The bicycle carrier stays on the Prius _all_ the time.

danlatu likes this.
  12. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any pics of those high mileage tires. I had michelins ltx on my ridgeline and they had dry/rot before the tread wore out:( not even 7 years old either. Michelins were great when I had them.

13. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No pics - although they were only <3 years old when I got a new set.

I was measuring the tread depth every 6-8K towards the end so I was looking quite close at the tires regularly. I never noticed any problems in the 3 years I had them.

14. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    We ended up going with the Costco Defender XT's. I run them at 44PSI. The interesting thing is that these tires feel great at higher PSI. They don't seem nearly as harsh as the Ecopias we had previously.

They did seem to take a 1-2 MPG hit. However, this is much better than I expected. I am still able to push 50MPG in mixed summer driving. It is usually around 48MPG though.

danlatu and kc410 like this.
  15. RMS2

RMS2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,

I also just achieved 86K on Michelin Defenders after about three years of driving nearly all highway miles. 120-mile round trip commute with quite a few rolling hills in Middle TN. I probably average 75 MPH and get about 44-47 MPG. I don't really watch the MPG's closely. I always ran them about 38 psi. Replaced with the New Defender T + H series. Hoping I can get 80K + out of those as well.

16. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Ours are holding up extremely well. However, I'm usually pretty lazy about rotations so we probably won't approach 90K.

danlatu likes this.