1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin E/S in winter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Cooker, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am shopping for new tires and I am considering the Michelin E/S for the fuel economy benefits it seems to have over the other tire options available. As the title suggest I am wondering how they hold the road during a light snow.

I feel that it is imprtant that I add that I have another vehicle that, if the roads are snow covered at all, I would plan on driving that for the day. However there may be occasions when we get an unexpected snowfall and I will need to drive a limited distance in the Prius. to make it back home at the end of the day.

And since I have the option to drive a different vehicle on the snowier days I really want to avoid having two sets of tires for the Prius.

So with that said, how might the Michelin E/S do in a light snow? Or is it so bad that I would not want to get stuck in a light snow with the Prius with the Micheling E/S tires on there. And if that is the case, what would be a better all season tire that will handle light snow ok, without hurting MPG's to any significant degree.

Thank you for your input.

2. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have E/S tires on our 2007 Prius. Rochester, NY (where we live) on average is the 2nd Snowiest City in the country and I've never had a real problem. Sane driving is the key. I have been in situations where I literally was pushing snow down a unplowed street and the car did fine.

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do not live in an area with snow, but I have noticed that the rubber on the Energy Saver A/S performs noticeably worse in temps below 55F.

iPhone ?

4. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the feedback.

Here in Michigan there are several mornings throughout the year where we are below 55 degrees. I realize unless I go to a winter tire that the tire compound may not be best suited for cold temps, but I have no intention to drive the car in the snow so I do not want to have two sets of wheels and tires. However I am sure I will get caught in the snow from time to time hence the reason for my question.

I have had very good results with Nokian Entyre's in the past on other vehicles but I'm concerned they may give me a MPG hit even though they are a LRR tire

5. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thats very promising. How many miles do you have on them? Have you noticed their capabilities in the snow diminish much as you have gotten more miles on them?

6. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    39,500 on them 5/32" tread left.

Sure, snow capabilities diminish somewhat, but intelligent driving still makes them usable.

7. Cooker

Cooker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the feedback.

I was shopping for these tires and I cannot find them in stock. It appears the Defender is taking the place of these tires and so I might not be able to purchase them after all anway.

8. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For what it is worth I find my Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max give very good traction on Ice and or snow. I found them better than my winter tires so left them on last winter. FE is great as well. I couldn't be happier.:) H

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Michelin this is not true. The Defender is not nearly as fuel efficient although they should last quite a bit longer.