1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Energy MXV4+ Green Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tomdeimos, Jul 5, 2005.

1. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

My goal was to keep or improve the LRR but have a bit better than oem performance especially in rain. Don't care about snow, since I switch to real snow tires in winter.

So I got a set of Michelin MXV4+ tires to compare to the oems. They even label them "green"! Got wheels too from Tire Rack.

So far no rain yet, but expect some later in the week. So my first impressions are preliminary:

First noticed the tires are way quieter than my oem ones. Worth it just for that!
    Secondly I noticed softer ride and better grip esp on rear wheels
    when going over bumps.

So far I am very pleased with the improvements. And after driving on them for like 30 miles I see no mileage degradation, or it may be slightly better. I'll have to see after a tank or two to be sure.

But I am wondering if I made a mistake: Michelin has these in the stock size, but they have even better ones (according to their web info) in the 195-65/R15 size, MXV4S8's. These would change the speedometer a bit, but they claim even better performance and lower rolling resistance.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MXV4 Plus is a really nice set of tyres. Those came on our Camry as OEM equipment and they're really quiet.

Oddly, when we asked if they're still selling the MXV4 Plus, various places said no.

Anyone else have experience with the MXM4 or MXV4 S8?

What do you mean by mistake? As in you're wondering if you should've gone with the S8 instead of the Plus?

3. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"104384)</div>
    Yes. I hope someday we'll get real numbers for LRR ratings, so we can tell what we're buying and what we're missing out on.

I found the grean seal rankings, but the MXV4S8's are too new I guess.
    http://www.greenseal.org/recommendations/C...gresistance.pdf

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohh I see.

Thanks for the link!

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos\";p=\"104336)</div>
    I don't notice I'm passing any cars with my 195/65-R15 tires, while thinking I'm still going the speed limit. Too much regularly practiced speeding around here.

And I'd like to know what rolling resistance I've got now, since I'm hoping to need at least one more set of tires before the car starts to go funny on me and maybe another 80,000 mile tire would be better next time...

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Today we got rain!

Tires are still great. Good as ones on other cars I've had, and way better than the oem Goodyears. I feel like they are grabbing the road with glue compared to the old tires. And unlike what I read about some of the other better tires, I see no drop in mileage.

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Goodyear's propaganda on Low Rolling Resistance is that the cost of replacing LRR tires will eat into the gas savings. I'm not sure if my math is right, but if all variables work out as currently known, I'll lose 5% of my possible MPGs over the 80,000 mile life of the tires. That's about 1778 gallons of gas at 45MPG versus 1667 gallons at 48MPG. 111 extra gallons will cost me an additional $222 based on today's best price around here. If a LRR tire would last 40,000 miles, it'd have to cost no more than $200 per set of 4 for the next required set to actually save me money over 80,000 miles, based on the $380 my TripleTreds will cost me after rebates. (Where are those rebates?...)

All estimates are rough and subject to reality checks, but unless my average dips lower and stays lower for the whole 80,000 miles, I'm not that bad off and I feel better in the rain...

8. williaeh22

williaeh22 Junior Member

How can you compare MPG with the OEM tires if the tire pressure is not brought into the equation?

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(williaeh22\";p=\"104811)</div>
    I still run the TripleTreds at 42/40, like I did the OEMs. I believe TripleTreds aren't as close to their limit at that pressure as the OEMs were...

10. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    tomdeimos,

Would you mind posting a picture of your Prius with your new wheels? I have thought about getting the same wheels and I'd like to see how they look with the lines of the Prius.

Thanks! :)

Patrick

11. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(925PriusGuy\";p=\"105035)</div>
    Here it is.

12. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, they look great :D ...but they also look hard to keep clean. That's one good thing about the stock wheels...they are really easy to wash.

13. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos\";p=\"104336)</div>
    From this |calculator|, you would be running 2.25% too slow (when new, could be up to 4% when nearing bald) running 195-65/R15s, and would it affect the ABS, drive-ratio, etc besides speedo from the stock 185-65s?

But, Michelin doesn't seem to put out a proper plus-zero size for R15 as 195-60/R15 or 205-60/R15 (both .96% off) for the MXV4S8s. :|

14. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike\";p=\"105337)</div>
    From this |calculator|, you would be running 2.25% too slow (when new, could be up to 4% when nearing bald) running 195-65/R15s, and would it affect the ABS, drive-ratio, etc besides speedo from the stock 185-65s?

But, Michelin doesn't seem to put out a proper plus-zero size for R15 as 195-60/R15 or 205-60/R15 (both .96% off) for the MXV4S8s. :|[/b][/quote]

I don't think 2% would be bad, and as tire wears it would get closer to oem diameter, so error should get less not more. I may try these next time, if they don't add the Prius size. For sure I will not go back to the Integrety tires.

15. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks for posting this, Tom -- I'm curious to how these compare with the HydroEdges.

In a couple of weeks, can you let us know if you see any significant MPG reduction?

16. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

OK I expect the tires should improve if anything after 500 miles or so.
    I won't know much till I ditch my fuel and go back to the Shell I was using, since my mileage dropped noticably at my last fill up. I have a test loop I drive and can't come close to the mileage on it I got before the fill up. And I had driven it with the new tires no problem.

So won't know much more for a few weeks.

Regarding HydroEdge I avoided them because they aren't LRR, and I need all the mileage help I can get. But for the ultimate rain performance I'm sure they're great. The side channels look very functional, and my tires don't have them So guess it's a choice of priorities.

But with MXV4plus I feel reasonably safe driving with the traffic in rain, and with OEM tires I felt unsafe unless I went about 10 mph slower.

17. B. Roberts

B. Roberts Hypah Milah! Ayuh.

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Drove our Prius from Maine to Florida in June with enough luggage for two of us to stay a month or more... with only 2k mi. on the odo. The OEM Goodyears were fine in the dry... but very scary at Interstate speed in the rain. The first week in Fla. I took the car to a tire store... ordered a set of TripleTreads and 16 inch wheels. Just did not want to drive in rain on the OEM's again.

Found a seven spoke wheel that approximates the Japan/Euro OEM 16 incher... but was able to only find one with a 42 mm offset. Tried out the fit... and it was close... just at the edge of the wheel well. A 41 mm offset would put this tire's sidewall beyond the bodywork.

What a difference in wet conditions and in driving response. I have noticed little if any mileage degradation. Also glad to see that other owners are getting away from the GY Integrity. The 15 inch alloys will be snow tire mounts.

18. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

The Energy tire is a great tire - I have them on my 7 Series BMW.

19. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

OK I'm back using Shell exactly as before but this time on the Michelin MXV4 plus tires instead of the oem ones. And they work great for LRR!

With the previous test loop runs using oem tires I got about 55 mpg. And I had one test run at 55 with the new tires too. Then I got some bad gasoline!

With many runs on the new Michelins I was getting like 48 to 50 mpg. Then I added some Techron and octane booster to the bad gas I had filled with and got mileage up to 52

MY test loop is a mix of maybe 5 miles at 25 to 40 mph. And the rest is split maybe 60/40 at 65 mph and 55 mph.

So today I filled up again with Shell gas and drove the loop and mileage was right back at 55. This at 44 miles from fill up.

Another thing I noticed was at steady 65 every 5 min bar was over 50 even the up hill sections. I had like most at 48 with the bad gasoline.

So tires are doing everything I want: Better in every way than oem ones, except maybe price, and still at least a match for LRR.

I tested both tire sets at 42/40 pressure, which I used on oems, because ride was bad at any pressure anyway that got good mileage.

The Michelins seem to work better at 38/36 without noticable mileage penalty, and much improved ride. So now that I have compared them twice I will go down to that pressure.

20. dbarry

dbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I co aught a chunk of metal rod in one of the OEM tires, so I took it as a good excuse to upgrade to the Michelins. What a difference!! The ride is *much* quieter, and the steering wander is almost gone.

Thanx for the recommendation!!!