1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin -- FREE "roadside assistance" ???

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking for new tires. Just noticed that Michelin claims to give free tow truck services...gas delivery, install spare, etc.

Seems too good to be true, but if true is a major reason to buy from the "fat man" brand.

Anyone ever taken them up on this claim?Michelin Warranty Information | Michelin

I was going to go for General tires, but now rethinking.

#1 Stevewoods, Nov 2, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never used their road side assistance, but have used a 60 day return warranty. I just did not like the ride. The tire shop where I bought them exchanged to different brand tires at no cost.

I already have a road side assistance service, so it will not be a value added for me, as their tow service covers only the flat tire without spare.

#2 Salamander_King, Nov 2, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    Stevewoods likes this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, Michelin covers not only flats, but as I mentioned above running out of gas, jumpstarts, etc.

I bought Michelin Crossclimates for daughter as a Chrismas present last year and did not know about the roadside assistance.

As I mentioned, I usually bypass Michelin as they are pricey, but this makes me reconsider. And, yeah. i bought them last year, but that was for my daughter. She deserves the best....me....meh.

4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it covers fluid delivery, lockout service, and battery jump, but for the towing, it only covers the flat tire, and if there is no inflated spare to swap. So, if the car breaks down due to anything other than a flat tire, dead battery, or running out of gas, the towing is going to cost you a lot. And it does not cover the cost of flat repair or replacement either. If you don't have any roadside service and want to rely on their service in case of emergency, it is a good value. But for someone who already has an AAA membership or other roadside assistance service, it does not add any more value.

Here are the small prints from their warranty pamphlet:

• Flat tire change*
    • Fluid delivery (gas, water, etc.) 3
    • Lockout service
    • Battery jump start

*If an inflated spare is not available, towing will be provided at no cost (up to 150 miles) to the nearest approved Michelin tire retailer of your choice.
    3 Consumer is responsible for the cost of delivered goods

Stevewoods likes this.
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, you are right. If you already have a plan, this one is probably not as comprehensive,

But, if you are cheap, as I am :p, then this makes the added "cost" of a Michelin a bit easier to swallow.

Basically, my tires are nearly down to the wear bars, so time for new.

I was going to go with my standard General RT43, but then this Michelin bit caught my eye.

So, am now thinking of going to Michelin Crossclimate2 instead, which would give me a safer winter tire. But price difference is $200 USD. But figure in the Michelin Roadside coverage, eh.

So, odds are I will never use the roadside coverage. I do not run out of gas I keep my battery in good condition. I can push on a spare in 10 minutes vs waiting 90 minutes for a tow truck. But driving in drenching "Pineapple Express" rain yesterday, I kinda of thought having someone else do the spare,,,,,:)

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We used to have AAA memberships, myself as a primary and my wife as an associate member. But the Premier membership fees got too expensive, something like $150 a year for the two of us. So, I switched to the GEICO insurance plan's roadside assistance. It costs only $12/year for each car. The towing mile is basically to the nearest dealer or any authorized repair shop of my choice which was better than basic AAA's 10-mile towing range. Or can be better than the 100-mile towing range of AAA Plus or 200 miles towing range of AAA Premier, if the nearest dealer happens to be further away.

The first time I used GEICO roadside assistance was when our Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid developed a camshaft actuator solenoid problem and the engine was running very rough. I did not want to drive it to a dealer ~100 miles away. The tow truck came and towed it to the dealer for me and left it there to be repaired. I did not have to make two trips. Just needed to go there to pick it up when it was repaired. The towing would have cost me over $300 if I had to pay.

Stevewoods likes this.
  7. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Been very impressed with Michelin tires and their warranty/service.

Twice I had Michelin tires wear out before their warranted time and twice Michelin gave me credit/check for the prorated wear.

The problem wasn't with their tires it was with the way Sienna suspension causes the tires to wear but Michelin stood behind their product anyway.

I expect anyone who owned a Generation 2 Sienna and drove it for any length of time experienced the uneven way the outside edge of the tires wore.

Stevewoods likes this.
  8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Think I answered my own question. Drive into December with current tires, around Dec.15 put on winters, around late February, do something, like buy Crossclimates.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really liked the Michelin Xice Xi3 on my Prius Prime. I also had Xi2 on the Pathfinder. Excellent on snow and ice, but the beauty was that they were so comfortable and quiet, and got just as good mpg (or EV miles as OEM LRR tires). Plus they were the ONLY winter tires with a tread warranty. But as I understand it, Xi3 is mostly retired now and replaced with Xice-snow. I don't know if the new Xice-snow is better than the Xi3, but they are sure more expensive than the Xi3 I bought. So expensive, that I ended up getting Brizzak instead for our new Escape PHEV when we got the car last year.

I thought about CrossClimate 2 as all-weather tires but that was even more expensive for the larger OEM 18" wheels than buying both smaller used 17" wheels and dedicated winter tires for them. Maybe when the Brizzak needs to be replaced, if I keep the car that long, I may consider changing to CrossClimate 2 on the smaller 17" wheels and run it year-round. Nokian WR is another good all-weather tire I have heard of, but they are even more expensive than CrossClimate2.