1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin HydroEdge tires on snow

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by john1701a, Nov 27, 2004.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It finally snowed here.

With close to 9,000 miles on these all-season high-traction tires, it's about dang time. The rain handling has proven remarkable. And the dry road grip is great. But what about snow? That's the question I've had to put off until today.

The snow isn't the Minnesota type that we get during most of the cold season (dry). It's the wet & heavy stuff that melts quickly, especially since the ground surface hasn't become frozen solid yet. But since that's what much of the rest of the country experiences, this report will satisfy the curiosity.

THEY WORKED GREAT!

That wet & heavy mess squeezed right through the tread wonderfully. And the rubber, that actually increases grip when it gets wet, was fantastic. In other words, driving on the fresh snow was pretty boring. No slipping & sliding, just the same old impressive traction as usual.
    Unfortunately, I have no idea how to quantify the driving experience. So comparisons to the other all-season high-traction tires, Goodyear TripleTread, will be really tough. We'll probably just have to settle for subjective assessments.

As for my choice to upgrade to better tires, any remaining doubt completely disappeared as soon as they touched the snow. The resulting 1.5 MPG reduction was well worth it.

2. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good! How do you rate their snow performance compared to the OEM Integrity's?

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They are definitely better than the OEM tires.

The snow improvement seems to be quite similar to the rain improvement. In other words, they are very easy to recommend to those looking for a better tire.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    By the way, I'm curious as heck if I will ever trigger the VSC now.

The grip is so much improved, I may not.

5. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, I'll bet you'd do well in a lake ice racing event there! Just floor it and steer.

6. jchu

jchu New Member

Amped,
    An Interesting Experiment that maybe we can talk john1701a into. Might help answer some of jayman's concerns that he posted in "Installs & Reviews..." While he rightly has concern about the M+S rating, one article that he cited was from 11/98. There is unfortunately a wide variation in the M+S rating and the OEM Integrity's don't do well against their current counterparts though I suspect they are far superior to anything out in 1998.

Would have been nice if TireRack had also done formal snow traction testing of the top couple of all-season tires to see how the Goodyear TT's and the Michelin HE's compare to dedicated studless snows. No I don't expect them to be identical but it be nice to know how much snow traction we give up to have a longer wearing all-season tire

7. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Finally snowed here...with Goodyear TT I tried to spin and slide...even after trying to slam the brakes at a stop sign...i couldnt slide...couldnt get the VSC to kick in ...nuthin'...a lot better than OEM tires.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The tire research has went remarkably well. We have 2 great tires to recommend to other owners now. Thank you to those that have helped out.

We were able to eliminate the "cannot upgrade" tires misconception rather quickly. That's pretty cool.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I have been able to do my own snow testing for the past two weeks. I have on the Michelin Harmony all-seasons, and for an all-season tire they appear to work well.

That is, in fresh snow and slush, they aren't horrible. But hard-pack and ice is an entirely different matter. The ABS works well, but getting started again is hopeless. I tried going up a parking ramp at a local mall and Forget About It.

I have owned many cars and trucks, and have driven them with all-seasons and with dedicated snow tires. There is absolutely no doubt the difference in traction, especially on hard-pack and ice.

On my 1992 Honda Prelude SR, I would take off the Bridgestone Blizzak tires and put the all-season tires back on, then go for a brief spin on the snowed-over gravel sideroad from my hobby farm to the highway. It was a brief spin too, tires spinning helplessly.

Drive back into the garage, put on the Blizzak's, and repeat the test. The car would stick to the road and even half a foot of snow was no trouble, though the deep snow would start piling up at the rad and the motor. The car only had 4 inches of ground clearance.

My favorite snow tires are the studless Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 and Dunlop Graspic DS-1, or the studded Firestone WinterFire.

I actually prefer the studless tires now, with a good set you sacrifice very little ice performance and do away with the dry pavement noise from the studs.

If you want to drive in dangerous road conditions with regular tires, be my guest. I prefer the much better traction and control from dedicated snow tires, thanks much.

BTW: I'm not saying my Michelin Harmony tires are crap. They're actually the best all-season tires I've ever driven in snowy/icy conditions, especially fresh snow.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the report, John. It makes me feel better about my decision to switch to HE's. I won't be able to add much useful information, because I drive pretty cautiously in winter conditions, and as little as possible. But i did get the ABS to kick in today. I was approaching an intersection, no cars around, so I hit the brakes hard, and felt the pulse of the ABS. Of course, my HydroEdges are brand new. I had them put on one week ago, and I don't put on many miles at all.

We had only a little bit of snow, and I didn't go out that day at all, so now all we have are a few slippery places. My biggest fear with snow and ice is always the other guy, who has a cell phone, bald tires, no ABS, and who does not believe that just one or two drinks will impair his reaction time.

11. Poppajack747

Poppajack747 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    John, what size HydroEdges are you wearing? OEM?

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, they are the same size as the OEM.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I already posted this in:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic....p?p=55428#55428

Having had to drive back from the hobby farm in a snowstorm, and driving around Winnipeg today in the aftermath of snow/ice, I immediately noticed a difference with my Dunlop Graspic DS2 snow tires.

There is no way I would trade the much improved winter performance. At least I'm not leaving intersections at a walking pace anymore, just driving off normally.

My Michelin Harmony all season's are great tires, but the Graspic's are so much better on snow and especially ice.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I posted this elsewhere, but I did trigger VSC turning left yesterday at a very icy intersection. I felt only a hint of a skid, and heard the beeps.