1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin MXV4 - Took the plunge!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jpk1102, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jpk1102

jpk1102 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, so after reading the posts, I guess I did pretty good with the OEM Goodyear Integrities 55K.
    I researched here on Prius Chat, and the Consumer Reports and settled on the Michelin MXV4.
    I was really in a rush to get these, so contacted both Costco and Sam's who could get them in in about 3-5 days. Each of them is currently running the $70 mail in rebate on 4 tires.
    Luckily, I also called discount tire. The manager was great and found the same tires in one of the other stores (185 65R 15). He also honored the $70 mail in rebate Costco/Sam's was offering by immediately taking the rebates off the tires at purchase, so I had no wait.
    They also honored the Costco installation price, gave me free road hazard AND free tire rotation.
    I just drove home. I couldn't be happier with these tires! Smooth, fabulous handling. I think I'm going to be very happy.
    Consumer Reports lists them as excellent LRR (low roll resistance) so if I don't take a hit on Mpg, I'll be happy indeed.
    I wasn't aware that Prius owners ran 42/40 in the tires - I was running 34/32, so I guess my 48 mpg will get even better.
    This is a great forum, glad to have found you!
    I'll update on the mpg as these tires wear in.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they are as good or better than the Energy Saver A/S then you should be more than happy with them. I'm going with the Yokohama db E-Spec tires for the handling response and to promote the use of orange oil instead of petroleum for tires. lol

Tire Rack performed an extensive test on 6 of the new low rolling resistance tires and compared them to the stock Integrity.

When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

[​IMG]

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hi F8L,
    I'll repeat my pet peeve with the study you mention: all tyres were run at the Prius OEM tyre recommended pressures. That just does not make sense to me, and leads me to discount the results up front.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand why they did it so I have no problems there. Over-inflation could skew the results but how are we to say one tire would perform better than another with higher pressures? For now this is the best information we have to go on right? :)

I don't run my tires at OEM specs, I run them well over the max rated pressure. I don't expect I'll see the same results they did but I think their results give us a good ballpark figure.

5. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've noticed a MPG hit since installing the Primacy MXV4 but I also went up to 195/60s. I like the tires but my immediate reaction (first week of driving) was that they may not have been worth the higher price. Still in 'break in' period tho and I think they may be getting a little quieter. Great driving tires no question. Eager to read your feedback on them!

- D

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I don't think the tire pressures are of any concern, as long as they're all set to the "toyota recommended" pressures for testing. Keep in mind the scope of the test. It's not a "which tire pressure gets you the best traction/results" test. It's a tire comparison. While it would be nice if they did do that, its a bit beyond the scope of the test. I'd personally would love if they did a "overinflation" test.

My MAIN concern is the lack of winter traction testing.

From what the graphs show, the yokohoma appears to be the absolute best tire for everything. However, its rated as only a summer tire. Awesome stats for wet/dry/mpg is NOT good if you get into an accident costing over 1k to fix while driving on snow.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I'm not suggesting *over* inflation, but inflation to each tyre's sidewall max psi pressure. Since different tyres have different recommended pressures, using hte sidewall max seems to me a reasonable way to even the playing field.

I suppose their method makes sense for a driver who inflates to OEM pressures regardless what tyres are on the car, but I don't, and I doubt the logic of doing so.

8. jpk1102

jpk1102 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First report back on the mpg on the new Primacy tires on my car. On first tank of gas, about just a little less than 1 mpg hit. Since the weather just got colder, I would be inclined to believe it's that and not from the tires.

9. jpk1102

jpk1102 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thought I would update you all on the tires. The car drives so quiet and smooth - AND my gas mileage has gone up 2.5 mpg just on the tires! I kept the tire pressure the same as I had been driving, so I could get a reliable read on the mpg for comparison.

I have since inflated the tires to the recommended 42/40 and squeaked another 2 mpg on mileage.

I'm happy, changed the tires to the Michelin MXV4, then applied the tire pressures recommended here, and not bad a 4 mpg increase with no changes in driving habits.....

Now, if I can just master Pulse and Glide, I'll be all set! I've already seen increase in mileage when I P&G!

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear! They are not cheap tires so it is good that you are making up for it with better MPG and comfort. :)