1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Primacy tires failing !!!

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rkalbo, Sep 24, 2023.

1. rkalbo

rkalbo 2024 XLE

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    #1 rkalbo, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got a set of Primacy MXM4 (in 215/45R17)about 3 years and 15k kms back, seem to be wearing fine. Really dropped mpg at the outset, though not bad now.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  3. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I don't believe that overall, there is a "safety" issue with the Primacy tires. It's more likely an owner issue of proper maintenance and/or use of their vehicle, proper inflation, and age of the tire. The Primacy line are OE tires on many SUVs and trucks, but it's just a street tire and not meant for any type of heavier duty work. It's generally recommended that tires should be replaced after 6-7 years regardless of how many miles are on the tire. Years ago, Ford and Firestone were sued due to tires catastrophically failing on their Ford Explorers. Even though there was a large settlement, the issue really was about Ford dealers recommending inflating the tires with only 24-26 lbs to give the impression of a softer ride. The old Explorers had the twin I-Beam front suspension while robust, made it ride like a truck.

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You seem to have found a year-old bot-generated page created from 5 Reddit posts spanning 15 years.

5. rkalbo

rkalbo 2024 XLE

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Poor tread life, followed by blowout.

Submitted 1 month ago

By Joe 2023

From undisclosed

Verified Reviewer

Reviewed at

[​IMG]
    Very concerned with the number of blowouts reported here. My wife was driving in our neighborhood (just left the house) and had a blowout on front passenger side. Thankfully she was only going ~25mph and was able to limp the car back to the driveway. How does a Michelin tire blow out at 42K miles going ~25 mph? Tire pressure was set at 35lbs as required. I expected much more from the premium tire brand. Is there something defective with this tire?

Bottom Line No, I would not recommend to a friend

Was this review helpful to you?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Took a look at my records: ours went on in March of 2019, at ~80K kms, currently around 99K kms. They are off the car through winter (replaced by snow tires). Not a lot miles granted. They look good, no signs of cracking. Feel good. Tread depth currently 8/32" which is wearing kinda fast.