1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin X Radial Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by offersk, Dec 2, 2005.

1. offersk

offersk Junior Member

Has anyone replaced the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires with Michelin X Radial all season Tires from Costco or one of the other wholesale clubs? How did the Michelin X Radials handle and brake in dry and wet weather? Are you glad you replaced the Integrity's? Would you get the Michelin X Radials again? Please note I am considering the X's, not the X-ice. Thanks,

1 person likes this.
  2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't used Michelin X tires for years, but Consumer Reports rates the X-Radials second only to the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread. They say the Goodyears are excellent for both dry and wet braking and give the Michelins a very good for both. The Michelins are rated excellent for rolling resistance while the Goodyears are rated very good. Both are rated excellent for noise.

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We had a major tire demolish on a Holiday weekend on a long trip - in Tuscon.
    Had to replace one, so the only thing that was open was Sam's Club so we got 2 Michelin X.

Seems fine except for mileage drop.

4. lee

lee New Member

Consider the Michelin MXV4+, only $90 each on line, and they have very low rolling resistance. In the previous Consumer Reports tire test (11/2002) they were rated second and were considered an excellent all around choice, including being rated very good at braking on ice, wet braking and hydoplaning. Too bad they didn't rate them this time around.

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    After researching, and on word-of-mouth advice from this and other Prius boards, I bought a set of Nokian WRs yesterday. LRR, highly rated for noise, wear and traction, including rain and snow (but they're all-season, not a "snow tire").

They're not a "mainstream" tire, with limited distributorships (look up possible local dealers in nokian.com). Tirerack doesn't carry them. They're not cheap ($85-$100 ea. + mounting, etc.

What's not to like about a tire containing silica and canola oil? :eek: :rolleyes: B)

6. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced my Subaru's tires with X Radials from Costco. I was very happy with them(traded in the Subaru for a Prius) and their wasn't much wear. I was never one to push the limits of my car's performance. If/when I have to get rid of my Integritys, I will go to Costco again and get the X-Radials.

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I decided to follow John1701 and Daniel, and ordered 4 Michelin HydroEdges yesterday. For Seattle, snow isn't much of an issue, but slick highways are.

Should have them on the Prius early next week; am taking the Prius into Toyota Service later in the week for the SSC50P fix and a wheel alignment.

8. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put 2 new sets of MXV+ on our old Lincoln Mk8 and was very impressed. They are extremely quite(in a very quite car, even at 85mph) and handling was OK. Wet weather traction was good(never in snow). I got about 45k miles from each set (heavy car). No change in mileage (about 26mpg on the highway, yes at 80mph, the car was shaped like a bullet).

9. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    My girlfriend put a set of WRs on her 02 Corolla in October. We're in Rochester, NY. She loves them. In fact, we did not shovel our 30-degree inclined driveway this year even though we had over six inches of snow on the driveway a couple of times. :D I'm on the waiting list for an 06 Prius - intentionally wanting to buy no sooner than mid-May 06. After driving until yesterday since 01' with Veredestein SnoTracs on my 94 Acura Integra year-round, I will not drive with stock junk tires on my 06 during the winter.

I really wish that you could have your choice of tires on your new car. :unsure: The SnoTracs were excellent in snow and rain. The WR's tread pattern is very similar to the SnoTrac's, however, the WRs are "Severe Weather Rated," the SnoTracs are not. If I am not mistaken, the WRs are the only "all season radial" to carry the severe weather rating. It is not easy to get that rating, and it basically means that the WRs are very capable severe weather tires - perhaps comparing to the best of all available snow tires.

All I can say about the SnoTracs is that they made my Integra a completely different car in the snow. I could actually go somewhere when I stepped on the gas. :lol: So, sometime later in the year after I get the 06', I'll be putting a set of WRs on my car and I will run them year-round, too.

My girlfriend's Corolla had dis-"Integrities" :rolleyes: on it before the WRs, and I used to hang on for dear life in heavy rain :blink: - so much so that I would not let her drive on long trips. ;) Now, I have no fear of letting her drive on long trips, however, after I get the 06, that will most likely be the new "trip car." B)

All the best,
    Matthew

10. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Michelin X Radials are an excellent tire. I have driven on a few different generations and versions of the same grade of tire from Michelin and have been pleased with all iterations. They are quite on the road, grip well, not only on wet road surfaces, but also in slush and snow. They are good enough that in my climate I do not even bother with any kind of specialized snow tire.

However, on the Prius, I think the MXV4+ would be even better. Those can be ordered throught costco.com. Those will be my next purchase.

11. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Why can't you have your choice of tires on your new car? At least a few of us (including myself) had the dealer swap out the stock tires for upgraded ones before taking possesion - just be prepared to pay the difference in price. Your salesperson wants to sell cars, and you should be happy with what you get. If you insist on having better tires, they will make it happen. The customer is always right. :)

12. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put on the Tripletreds and am delighted with the tire. Smooth quiet ride and excellent handling. According to Tirerack and CR the Tripletreds rate higher than the Michelin hydroedge.

13. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I also swapped out the OEM for Goodyear Tripletreds and am delighted. I took a 2 MPG hit for the first 5,000 miles and then my mileage seemed to creep up higher than before. This is with about 33,000 on my 2004 Prius.

The tires are much quieter, handle better and are a joy to drive through heavy rain.

14. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just priced the MXV4+ at Costco and they said special order for Prius size and about $120 each.

15. stan

stan New Member

I swapped out the Goodyears for the Mich X the day I took delivery so I can't make an objective comparison. I chose the X because of the recent Consumer Reprt test, the fact that Costco uses a nitrogen fill and to me that has its advantages, and that the triple treds do not come in 185. The X is 2lbs per tire heavier than the Goodyear and has 4 fewer rotations per mile. I have about 2100 miles on them now. My daily commute is a total of about 35 miles backroads, hilly and curvy, about 15 miles highway and about 10 miles urban but not too congested. Impressions: I tried using a higher pressure (39F 37R) Note - Costco will only fill at recommended pressure but they let me fool with it on my own. Ride was hard and handling in curves suffered some - rear tire chatter on bumpy sharp curves. Grip was otherwise fine in dry. We haven't had any significant rain since I took delivery so no impression there. Average mileage started in the mid forty fives and moved to the mid forty eights as I am learning to drive this car. Best trip was 72 miles all highway at 51.2 mpg as per display. I lowered pressure to 35.5F, 33.5R (Accutire guage) about 600 miles ago. Big positive difference in ride and handling. Chatter went away. Average mileage now in the upper forty sevens. Best mileage on same all highway route as before lowering pressure was 53 mpg even. Weather conditions were similar, lower 50s some side wind. Installed BT plate and handling and ride improved even more. No discernable wear. Tire is quiet and smooth.

16. stan

stan New Member

Just an update. I now have a few hundred more miles on the Mich X at the factory recommended pressure (nitrogen fill) and mpg just keeps improving. Last 82 miles, mixed driving commute as described in earlier post, 52.4mpg. Still no rain other than a light drizzle where the traction seemed the same as dry.

17. ARiddle

ARiddle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stan @ Mar 30 2006, 05:13 AM) [snapback]232271[/snapback]</div>
    I have an new 06 which I will using principally for Diamond Lane Travel on the California 405. The car now fees very squirrelly at 65+ and I was wondering if you do this kind of driving and how the X's improved tracking at highway speeds on grooved and uneven concrete.

18. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ARiddle @ Apr 1 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]233407[/snapback]</div>
    I ran into the same issue and replaced the tires. The car just didn't feel secure on groved pavement. I didn't end up with the Michelins. They are excellent tires, I had them on my Subaru, but they were a little noisy and stiff. When I switched to Yokohama Avids on that car, the difference in ride and noise was quite apparent. For the Prius, I ended up getting a tradein from the Goodyear dealer for the Integrities while they were still low miles (700mi) and switched to the ComfortTreads. That really improved things, no gas mileage hit and they ride well at 40/38 lbs. But there were still a few times of vagueness and random wiggle, especially if the car was pushed hard. Next I put in the BT chassis stiffening plate. The plate + good tires has solved the issues. It's amazing how much better the car tracks now.

If I were to do it again, I'd try the BT chassis stiffening plate first. It's an easy swap and you may be happy enough to stick with the Integrities until they wear out. If not, then go ahead and change them too.

19. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI the Australian 06 Prius comes fitter with Michelin Energy XV1 tyres. They are 195/60 R 15 88v.

20. ARiddle

ARiddle New Member

Just as an update on my issues with stability reported earlier - turns out that the jumping around on crosswize raingrooves was primarily caused by having one tire way out of alignment (as delivered from toyota). While I was trying to figure out what was wrong after toyota's initial inspection (whihc didn't include an alignment check) I bought a set of Michelin HydroEdges. Now with the HydroEdges, Proper alignment, and the BT Plate the car holds any kind of road surface with very positive steering feel.