1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin X-Tour vs Energy Saver tires for good MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ChristaM, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ChristaM

ChristaM New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We're looking to replace our tires (we currently have about 42k miles on it), and we're considering the Michelin Energy Saver (H performance) and the Michelin X-Tour since Costco is going to be having a sale/$.01 installation next week.

Currently we get about 50 mpg, and we'd heard that the people have been getting around 65 mpg with the Energy Saver tires. If that's true, the tires would basically pay for themselves! But, I can't find where anyone has gotten the X-Tour tires to see what mpg they get.

I'd like to get feedback on mpg and tire choices for our 2014 Toyota Prius (we live in central Texas, if that helps)! Your help is appreciated!!

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a Prius with energy savers on them once, so quiet and best mpg I ever got. I did a road trip with cruise control at 72 mph for hours and got 57 mpg. I couldn't believe it! I replaced some cheap tire from China and I could hardly get over 45 mpg on the highway. Best tires for mpg period

ChristaM likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To go from 50 to 65 mpg is a reach; that's 30%, which is hard to believe. TireRack comparison of Energy Saver A/S vs various other tires:

Tire Test Results : When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

Showed it top of the list, but by more reasonable amounts. The Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 was a close second.

upload_2017-11-14_16-11-23.png

The Michelin X-Tour might be a rebadged Defender T+H, as speculated by @The Critic, about 3/4 down the page here:

Costco Michelin X-Tour tire review | Tires & Wheels | Bob Is The Oil Guy

upload_2017-11-14_16-31-56.png

Looking at Defender T+H on TireRack, they no longer describe any of the sizes as "GreenX", instead use the term "Total Performance", and only for certain sizes, in the "Specs" tab here:

Michelin Defender T+H

upload_2017-11-14_16-37-0.png

And just to confound things further, 195/65R15 is not allocated "Total Performance" tag, at least not on TireRack. "Total Performance" was described to me in an email from a Michelin rep as:

All Michelin Tires have the " Total Performance" technology, it is now considered the company’s global vision and strategy to develop tires capable of simultaneously delivering superior levels of performance in the key areas of safety, fuel efficiency, grip, longevity and durability – without tradeoffs.

Going to the US Michelin site, plugging in 2010 Prius for a tire search, I used their comparison tool to compare the Energy Saver A/S, Defender T+H and Premier A/S:

Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires

upload_2017-11-14_16-23-29.png

If I search specifically for Defender, without "T+H", it's still has a page:

Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires

And these numbers:

upload_2017-11-14_16-25-52.png

Comparing to Defender T+H the same numbers except wear life is dropped one, so maybe that is the only improvement the T+H brings, and hopefully rolling resistance is the same.

Considering positive comment from @The Critic (above) , and also @bisco here, I might put my money on Premier A/S, would be interested in comments on that.

quantumy, Kevin_Denver and ChristaM like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we put the premiers on in january. left for florida soon after and didn't notice an mpg change over 3500 miles. then it was all local driving until new york a month ago when we saw the 10% increase in fuel economy over past similar trips.
    it is my wife's car, and she doesn't pay attention or keep records, so i can't say much else except that they are much quieter and smoother than the bridgestone oem's.

ChristaM and Mendel Leisk like this.