1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Microsoft Origami UMPC in my Prius ASAP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by sb_in_nc, Mar 9, 2006.

1. sb_in_nc

sb_in_nc New Member

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/default.mspx

They finally released specs on this thing and I can already vision it retracting on a snake mount from my armrest...

This gets me from a package #1 to a package #7 (the stuff I want) for <$1000.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll be waiting right here for pics :)

3. DocToss

DocToss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been looking at dualcor.com. One of these small devices seems like a good idea.

4. _echo

_echo Junior Member

MS Streets and trips 2006 dosen't work very well in touchscreen mode. Of course this is sort of specific to the drivers I wrote for the MFD... This irritated me to no end, as they don't give the user options to click to recenter. Instead, they have this %#@%@ awful thing where you left click on something, they give you a dialog box. Definitely not something you want to deal with when driving..

Of course, this is all IMHO and personal experience. If they resolve this in the 07 edition, that would make the product rock...

This would be nice to integrate into the MFD itself though... If it's the real winxp, that is.. It would be something something optimized for touchscreen use. (Unlike running windows XP on the prius MFD these days..)

If they resolve this, then that would rock...
    On the other hand, delorme has figured all this stuff out...

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I really don't understand why anyone would want something as unstable as Windows on their MFD screen! Can you just imagine the trouble constantly updating the thing for bugs, viruses, and trojans?? Windows is a necessary evil, not something I would look forward to on my Prius!

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    WinXP isn't as unstable as people percieve. It makes for a decent car PC. You're not running more than 2 or 3 tasks at a time so it won't stretch out the resources which is what usually causes instability. I've been using Windows since my first car PC back in 2001 and there have been no stability issues.

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    double post :rolleyes:

8. sb_in_nc

sb_in_nc New Member

Agreed about Windows, not so bad anymore. Besides, I don't want it running on my MFD, I want an additional touchscreen. That's the beauty of the new UMPC. It's kind of similar to aftermarket touchscreen navigation units (in price), but tons more capability and programmability.