1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Microsoft Voice Command, WIndows Mobile and Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveSheremata, Jan 12, 2006.

1. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi folks!

While I've been endlessly waiting for delivery of my '06 Package #8, I bought a Sprint PPC 6700, a Windows Mobile 5 phone which Verizon will soon been releasing as the xv6700.

I'm hoping someone can confirm or speculate on whether I can use the Microsoft Voice Command v.1.5 software I've installed on my phone with the Prius's Bluetooth Handsfree profile.

I've installed Microsoft Voice Command, which is an awesome piece of software. I can dial calls out without having to add voice tags, and specify "mom at mobile", or even "play SoundGarden". "What is my next appointment" and "what is my singal strength" are great commands too to save from looking at the phone while careening through the "mixing bowl" on the D.C. beltway.
    There were a bunch of hacks I had to do to make the bluetooth headset I have (moto hs850) work with launching the voicecmd.exe via the multifunction button, and using MortSaver to keep the buttons locked when using voice activation, but I finally got it to where I'm happy with the way it works now.

I'm wondering how the phone button on the Prius works - does it work exactly like the multifunction button on a headset? If so, I'd expect the phone with Voice Command to work just fine. However, seeing the hangup/answer pair of buttons make me think that there might be some complications.

Any input?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. kinged

kinged New Member

\
    I have a pocketpc, but not a phone, and I do not have voice command installed.

Prius bluetooth works just like a headset. The car will automatically detect your phone when you enter. You can dial the number from the phone, and the car will pick up the ringing and conversation. I believe voice command will dial your pocketpc phone which then transmit the voice to the car speaker. It should work well. But your own headset won't work, because only one headset can connect at a time.
    The button on the steering wheel wheel is just to pick up or hang up the phone, the rest of the function are done via touch screen.

3. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The phone buttons on the steering wheel, and those on the touchscreen, do not actually go to the phone. The Prius keeps its own phonebook (which you send over from your phone using bluetooth), and you dial from that. Once you select a number to call, it connects to your phone and places the call. So, no, there's no way to activate the phone's voice dial feature, unless you find a way to catch a request to call a fake phone number or something.

What happens if you start the phone listening from the phone when your headset is connected? If it listens through the headset, it might work in the Prius - you'll just have to press the button from the phone instead of the steering wheel.

4. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks for the thought so far guys. Well, with my headset, all audio is routed to it, and I'm sure that the last idea of hitting the phone's voice activation button will work fine - but that's not as "hands free" as I was hoping for. I'm thinking "hands free" as in keep-it-in-my-pocket-and-not-unlock-the-keyguard-and-not-hit-the-button-on-the-phone "hands free" ;)

So when you use voice dialing features built into the Prius, are you saying that hit the answer button and not the voice command button? I'd assumed that the prius' dial commands would go through the voice command button which would then initiate an "answer", i.e., off hook and dial for you. That assumption led me to believe that the "answer" button probably operated more like a bluetooth headset multi function button.

Hmm...

Dave

5. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is no voice dial in the Prius (at least, not in the '05 I have). Instead, you push the 'pick up' button to bring up the dialing screen (if moving, the one-touch presets, otherwise a keypad), and touch the number to call.

To be honest, I don't know why there are seperate pick up and hang up buttons on the steering wheel; there's never a case where both actions are available. (I recall reports that call waiting makes the Prius drop both calls... if call waiting worked, then I could see the need for both functions. I haven't tried it, actually.)