1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Jan 28, 2006.

?
  1. Night of the Living Dead 1968

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. El Topo 1970

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pink Flamingos 1972

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Harder They Come 1973

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Rocky Horror Picture Show 1975

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Eraserhead 1977

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Starz has been showing the documentary Midnight Movies: From the Margin to the Mainstream today and it was one of those things that I couldn't walk away from, not even to go to the bathroom. It was great to listen to the directors talk about their creations. It got me thinking though, which movie was it that really affected you?

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Eraserhead, David Lynch's low-budget, creepy, surreal liittle gem.

I worked part-time in an "alternative film" rathole of a theater (100 seats, a former studio screening room) in Salt Lake City (of all places), 1978-1989. We showed Rocky Horror twice each every Friday and Sat. nights. I knew every word and song by heart in short order.

But I overdosed on the uncrowned box-office champion of all time (not "Gone with the Wind"). I liked a lot of the true "indie" films that passed through, some made for as little as $5,000, usually in black and white and filmed with hand-held cameras. Today's Sundance-type "indies" are Hollywood-style blockbusters com-
    pared to what we often showed.

Lynch is supposed to have shot Eraserhead in a basement in Wyoming. The memory of it still makes me squirm, although the atmosphere of our beloved Blue Mouse (the theater) may have colored my perception. I might laugh if I saw it again today.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Boy, I'll bet you got to see it all in that job, Jack. Lynch actually details the time when he was making Eraserhead. The directors' interviews alone are worth the watch. :)

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I sure did---including the most disgusting movie ever, "Salo". We were closed down by SLC police for that one. :p

Where have you seen Lynch interview(s)? On a DVD? I never thought to look for one.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I wanted to vote for 4 of them. I can't believe someone else remembers El Topo!

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

A confession, I went to Rocky Horror a lot. As an alternative to the conventional dressing up as one of the characters, I had a big box I would wear on my chest that looked like a stage (had curtains and all) and perform the "Rocky Horror Puppet Show" . Other folks would help me with the puppets (stupid little felt / sock puppets) and we'd reenact scenes from the movie while we would stand in line waiting to get in.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Night of the Living Dead

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

had my glasses knocked off by a piece of "toast". Sure wouldn't have wanted to be the clean up crew in the theater after most of the RHPS that I saw. Should have bought Bic shares as every body in the place had a "light"

9. hybridTHEvibe

hybridTHEvibe New Member

Hi Jack 06, I'm glad you had an opportunity to see "Salo", on of the most misunderstood films within art film genre ever made. Pasolini intended the film as a sort of provocation to portray the fascistic tendencies and was solely based on Marquis de Sade - 120 Days of Sodom. The whole premise of the film is misunderstood by many critics as it was intended by Pasolini as an anti-fascist film, especially anti-Musolini. Pasolini himself is considered as one of the best film makers ever coming out of Italy. His filmography is filled with plenty of masterpieces. Not to mention that unfortunately the misinterpretation of his Salo film caused a massive right-wing protests in Italy in the mid 70's that ultimately led to mysterious assassination of Pasolini. Too many people are focused on the fecal issues from the plot without really understanding the depth that Pasolini was trying to convey, what fascism is capable of. Can't find a single other film that would represent anti-fascist stance in a history of film making.

Have you seen "The Gospel of St. Matthew" of his? Best film about Christ ever.

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

None...the only one I ever saw was Rocky Horror and I didn't like it. Someone mentioned Gothic awhile back...I tried it...yuck!

For the kid in all of us..."Bugsy Malone" with Scott Baio. "Breaker Morant" is a real sleeper and I highly recommend it.