1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Midsize or compact

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tadashi, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the Prius a midsize or compact? I thought it was classified as a midsize but recently I have been seeing websites (www.kbb.com, www.autos.com, among others) classifying it as a compact.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Technically a midsize by interior size criteria. Some sites put it as a compact based on the outside dimensions.

3. skandale

skandale Member

I see that Euro NCAP, who does the car crash tests in Europe, rates it as a "Large Family Car" (http://www.euroncap.com/tests/toyota_prius_2004/193.aspx).

It got 5 ouf of 5 stars, and with its 43 points for "Child Occupant", its the safest car they have tested in the child category!

Gotta love it!

Stein Tore
    (who is still waiting for mid September for his Prius)

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's a midsize.

I think some places like to classify it as a compact so they can criticize how much more the "hybrid premium" costs as compared to like cars. Like a Prius compares to a Corolla or a Yaris.

5. fo0bar

fo0bar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The Classic Prius was firmly a "compact" car, but of course they completely redesigned the interior/exterior for the 04 model year. I think some of the confusion comes from that.

6. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skanDALE @ Jul 4 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]473342[/snapback]</div>
    The prius is the only car I've ever owned that after a year is still fun when I get into it. People try to tell me how to get somewhere and I tell them "no, no, just give me the address". I even enjoy getting nagged all to heck by the GPS system. The only time I get irritated at the car is when it doesn't understand a voice command. This usually only happens when I am attempting to show off the voice command feature. Normally it accepts the commands and hurries along the way, but the second I put an aquaintance in the car and start trying voice commands, it is like all of a sudden it only speaks greek.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jul 5 2007, 01:18 AM) [snapback]473337[/snapback]</div>
    There's a loose connection between the hybrid hate mongers and those that call it a compact, rather than midsized. Go figure. After all, if you have to acknowledge the darn things get great mileage, you can at least attempt to make people believe it must be awfully crampt inside.

8. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's not just them. A lot of my friends and coworkers refer to my car as a compact. I think part of it may be due to the fact that many of them percieve it as "cute" and in our minds cute tends to be equated with small.

9. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the hatchback is what throws people off into believing it's a compact.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius hatchback is "small" for a midsized car. It's 21 inches shorter than my Intrigue and 6 inches narrower. AFAIK, the definition is based on the interior volume. Both cars fit 4 mail tubs on the back seat and 4 in the trunk. There is more passenger space in the back seat of the Prius.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jul 4 2007, 10:18 PM) [snapback]473337[/snapback]</div>
    Classic Prius - Compact
    Current Prius - Midsize

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Jul 5 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]473728[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it's the hatch. I think it's the physical size. It is 3 inches shorter than the Corolla and it does look small on the outside.

12. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Jul 5 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]473513[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah my Prius and the wife never seem to understand any voice commands, especially if someone else is around. :blink: