1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Might be time for a new battery, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Johhhn, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Johhhn

Johhhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid System propped up about two weekends ago and then a CE light came on last night. I haven't ran the codes yet,, but taking it to a shop on Tuesday to do some maintenance and I'll have them run the codes.

With that in mind,, I'm thinking it may be time to replace the battery in my 2011 160K Prius.

1- Does anyone know of 3rd party shops that do this in New Mexico?

2- Who has good experience with online places?

3- I remember years ago reading about replacing batteries and getting 100+MPG? Is that still a thing?

I looked at a video (Dorman?) and it shouldn't be an issue to replace it on my own.

thanks for any help!

John

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's definitely time to read the codes, considering the lights/messages you have will come up for many different reasons, not all having anything to do with the battery.

Once you know what the codes are, you will know more about whether it is time for a battery.

3. Johhhn

Johhhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it gives me a specific battery code, do we know 100% it's the hybrid battery?

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you get the codes read and there is a code specific to the battery, then that will give you good reason to think about the battery. (What you should think about the battery at that point will depend on what the code is.)

Up until the codes are read, the thing to be thinking about is getting the codes read, which could end up not even including any to do with the battery.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no such thing as a 100mpg battery, but there is a fairly new lithium upgrade that claims a few extra sheckles.
    you can find various threads here.

6. Johhhn

Johhhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    water pump!