1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Might have messed up spokes on new wheel bearing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Whatprius?, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Whatprius?

Whatprius? New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. This is my first post and I am no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I did manage to figure out how to replace the wheel bearing on my 2007 Prius base model. But did i mess up by using the breaker bar and pipe for leverage when tightening up the lug nuts when I was finished? The tire was wobbling physically by my hands when it was jacked up and i just thought the lug nuts needed the crap tightened out of them. One of them crunched off eventually. I have a new wheel bearing in and I don’t want to mess up the spikes on those as well by over tightening.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The spikes over tightening what are we talking about here maybe do your computer thing and send a picture I'm sure you can do that stop working on the car at the moment your wheel needs to go on the car straight You offer the lug nuts up with fingers when you hand tighten the wheel you should be able to grab the rubber that's mounted to the wheel and inflated and jiggle that whole assembly by hand and not hear any clunking or any movement of your wheel If not lean your knees up against the wheel and tighten up the lug nuts with your fingers until you have no wheel movement while it's assembled to the lug studs and the lug nuts are finger tight If you do find out why maybe tap it with a rubber mallet Make sure it's seated on the hub ring properly then you can tighten up the lug nuts touch and 3/4 of a turn or a little more You don't need a long breaker bar trying to break the wheel studs wheel studs I think require 71 ft pounds of torque maybe and a Toyota possibly a tad less. I have never used a breaker bar in 40 years to put the lug nuts back on I've had to use them to break the lug nuts loose from idiots with large snap-on 1/2-in drive guns that put on lug nuts to over 125 or so foot pounds or better Big problem here so have you broken a wheel stud off the new bearing? You can replace that stud.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello and welcome to PriusChat!

Ummm... I am having some difficulty trying to follow your post. You replaced a front wheel bearing assembly. Was the tire and wheel loose after doing this? Was the wheel wobbling side to side as you rotated it?

What does "crunched off" mean?

Don't take this personally but I'm not sure you have the skills needed to safely perform this type of repair - yet. All of the bolts and nuts used for the wheel bearing, axle, brake caliper and wheel lugs have to be torqued to the correct value.

Some people might get away with "giving it a grunt" with a long ratchet or "just a little bit" with an impact gun. That might "work" well enough - unless it doesn't. I don't use a ratchet and a pipe to tighten anything. Critical system parts get tightened with a torque wrench.

At this point I can't really tell what's going on from your description, or whether this car is safe to drive. Might want to consider if it makes sense to tow it to a repair shop.

FYI, your first 5 posts are moderated and might take some time to show up on the forum.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.